AZBUCKEYE

Time for a new tuck Diesel or Gas

I do the oil changes every 5k. That and dealer only services help with resaleablity.

I have heard too many horror stories about the Walmart grease monkeys to risk my $55k beauty.

Besides I drive just over 10k miles per year.

More D

• Like 2

I'm about the same and always took it to bill Luke for $75. I'll have to look into Wally World. I get what ur sayin but an oil change is not rocket science. Hard to f that up. Drain refill and swap out filter. Changed it myself only once and I cost me $80 just to buy the oil and filter from checkers.

• Like 1

There is essentially one ford dealer in the Tucson area so prices so no need to be competitive. The hourly labor was $130 18mo ago. I know that it is not that much for you all in the Phoenix area. Lots of competition.

More D

I have been perplexed with this same dilemma for nearly 4 years now and it has hindered me nearly incapable of making the decision. One of the main factors for me was the amount of things I have replaced on my 2004 1/2 ton dodge ram. Tranny, rear end, both axles and the front end on multiple occassions. Here is a quick snapshot to why I am going to purchase a 3/4 ton diesel and not another 1/2 gas. It's not all the factors I took into consideration, only a few:

Fuel cost / Maintenance / Longevity / Options:

I drive 19k miles each year. I pull my trailer 2k miles of those each year.

* The fuel cost actually sides in the favor of the diesel by $83 due to the towing mileage (based off $2.60 avg gas / $2.90 avg diesel)

* 5 oil changes throughout the year favor the gas motor by $415.

* 1/2 ton = $11, 800 in repairs (see above for a portion of what I have replaced on my 1/2 ton)

* 3/4 ton = $3k for a tranny. I don't believe anything else I have replaced would be needed on a heavier built truck like the 3/4 so the diesel gets the nod by $8000.

* I don't know what I will own or want to do in the next 10 years. With a 1/2 ton, I will be limited the same as the past 10 years. "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

* Diesel costs $8k more. In 10 years, when I sell it, it will basically hold the same value ($8k) more than the gas.

I'm sure anyone can punch holes in my logic, but these were a few of my deciding factors. What scares me the most is where I live = no diesel mechanics. Good luck with your choice.

• Like 2

I went with a ram 2500 with the new 6.4 litre Gas motor. I basically did this because of the upfront cost of a diesel and the price of fuel over the last 10 years. I will say that the oil change argument is not valid any longer. On my new pickup, it requires 7 quarts of synthetic oil and costs as much as a diesel oil change. Good thing I got 2 years of oil changes with it when I bought it. Having said all that, I could not be happier with the motor I have, but if I were to tow frequently, I would have went diesel.

I do the oil changes every 5k. That and dealer only services help with resaleablity.

I have heard too many horror stories about the Walmart grease monkeys to risk my $55k beauty.

Besides I drive just over 10k miles per year.

More D

i drive farther than that just to get to my hunting spots during the season

• Like 1

i went to walmart for my oil changes forever but now i got a mechanic next to my shop that does them for me. one time i was at walmart and they overfilled a diesel with oil and the owner was bitching hard

i went to walmart for my oil changes forever but now i got a mechanic next to my shop that does them for me. one time i was at walmart and they overfilled a diesel with oil and the owner was bitching hard

5% of my income comes from places like walmart "trying" to do a simple oil change. When they leave a drain plug loose, wrong filter, forget to reset a service light, don't check tire pressure, over or under fill oil... They've lost a customer for life and any friend of that customers if the friends hold any weight on their word. Not saying their all bad, heck 15% of my income is packet damage lol.

It sounds like know one changes their own oil any more?

I mentioned earlier it's $75 to take to the dealer and get it done. I did it myself one time and cost me $80 just for the oil and filter. Why not just take it have it done. Ain't gotta worry bout disposing of the oil an all that.

It sounds like know one changes their own oil any more?

Not when it's cheaper to have it done than it is to buy all the crap needed.

It cost me about $60 to change the oil myself in my duramax. That is with Rotella full synthetic and a Napa gold filter.

For me, it would be a way bigger hassle to take my truck to the dealer and wait for it to be done. It literally takes me less than 15 minutes to do myself.

• Like 4

The factory filter is usually the same price or cheaper than aftermarket ones. And with the advent of synthetic oil and studying the aftermath of synthetic and conventional I don't see why anyone would run standard oil anymore?

We bought a new F250 with a 6.7 in '13 with the plan to get a 34-40ft 5th wheel. Plans have changed and the 5th wheel is a no go so now the truck has to go.

I absolutely love this truck, it is my dream truck but if you are not using them for what they were really designed for it is not a smart use of it. Oil changes are $115 every 5k and every third one requires the fuel filters too which is a $300+ service total.

Mileage is a wash but it costs more for diesel as mentioned before.

More D

Wal-Mart, $56 for an oil change. (Yes, diesel)
1 case of Delo 400 at costco 39.99 on sale 37.99. I can do 1 and half oil changes with a case of oil. One fleetgurad oil filter from Inland Kentworh 16.99. An empty "Homer Depot" 5 gallon bucket slides right under my oil pan. No jack needed. Under 40$ I get it done in under 20 minutes.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 short bed 5 spd manual 4X4

I love my diesel. I love it I can haul a 12,000 lb trailer up hill on the beeline or the I-17 going 65 mph while the gas truck is going in the slow lane going 35 mph. But if this is all about the mighty $ then your better off with the gas.