tomkat12

Spotting scope regrets??

Never been much of a spotting scope user but I've never really owned a good one. Been thinking of getting a good quality one and was wondering what your guess thoughts were does anyone regret the money they spent on it?

I'd prefer to find a good used swaro 65mm (let me know if your selling one lol) but may get a vortex razor hd or even or new swaro depending on the advice I get here. Let me know your thoughts friends

I bought a cheapy, figured it would get smashed eventually on a horse. But the scope doesn't iritate me nearly as much as the tripod that came with it.

Had my Vultures stolen out of my home in UT, that's enough to piss off the Pope.

• Like 1

I bought a used Zeiss 65mm 4 or 5 years ago. No regrets. It's light enough to carry in a pack if you're hiking in....but is usually left behind. I have a doubler for my binos that works pretty good, if the conditions are right. I think it's been said in other posts...spend the money on really good binos first, then get the spotter. A lot of times you can see enough detail with GOOD 12's or 15's to know that's the animal you want to go after without the use of a spotter. If you want a spotter, it needs to be a GOOD one. The cheaper ones will only frustrate you due to low light, heat waves, glare, etc... I had a Nikon Prostaff I tried to use for one season, then sold it and bought the Zeiss....night and day difference.

You will also need a good, sturdy tripod, otherwise the image will be shaking too bad to see detail.

Oh...and then you'll start shopping for a digiscoping setup.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

had the 65 mm Razor HD, did the job for what it was, good glass for the money. Got the new 95mm swaro. If you got the cash then get its worth every penny

I already have swaro range el's 10x42 and the new swaro 15's mounted to outdoorsmans tripod and head so I have those 2 areas covered. Got plenty of dough I just don't want 2500+ plus of spotting scope sitting at home or in the truck.

Very nice! I have the same dilemma. The 65mm is a good all around size scope, but it depends on how much weight you are willing to pack. If the scope will stay in the truck/ATV, then I would get the larger 85mm. Personally, I like a lighter pack, so my 65mm often stays behind. I am looking at the Vortex Razor 50mm for packing in.

Had my Vultures stolen out of my home in UT, that's enough to piss off the Pope.

Cracked me up, my grandmother used to say all the time.

• Like 1

I have the Swaro 65mm and 95mm with the ATX eyepiece and do not regret it for a moment sure has saved some walking miles and I'm seeing more game.

I have the Swaro HD 85 and it is a great scope. I am not 100% sure it is worth the added expense over Razor which seems like a great deal. I have looked through Kowa also which everyone loves but I thought the Swaro had a noticeable edge in clarity.

I would say I would not mind having the smaller 65's in high end glass. The FOV is fantastic in the big scope but I am not sure it is necessary for checking scores and zooming in on a bedded animal. For moving animals and long term staring at the side of a hill it is better but I use binos for that.

I also would not hesitate to buy the top end Zeiss or Leica for a good deal. I think the smaller Leica is fantastic clear, light, and good ergonomics.

• Like 1

I have an 85mm Razor, love the clarity, hate the weight, been thinking of selling it and getting 20-60x65 Swaro. But I tend to carry a heavy pack and if I was 20 years younger it wouldn't bother me.

• Like 1

March makes an 8-80 x 56mm rifle scope. Now you can get a good look at the game and shoot em at the same time. Check out this site. It has pics of what it looks like looking thru a 80 power scope at 1000 yrds.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/ultra-high-magnification-8-80x56mm-march-riflescope/

I have the Swaro HD 85 and it is a great scope. I am not 100% sure it is worth the added expense over Razor which seems like a great deal. I have looked through Kowa also which everyone loves but I thought the Swaro had a noticeable edge in clarity.

I would say I would not mind having the smaller 65's in high end glass. The FOV is fantastic in the big scope but I am not sure it is necessary for checking scores and zooming in on a bedded animal. For moving animals and long term staring at the side of a hill it is better but I use binos for that.

I also would not hesitate to buy the top end Zeiss or Leica for a good deal. I think the smaller Leica is fantastic clear, light, and good ergonomics.

with the 85mm Swaro you would hardly have a use for the 65mm except that it weighs less. like I stated above I have the 65mm and 95mm and rarely use my 65mm the added weight is well worth me packing my 95mm. really the only time I use my 65mm is when I'm scouting from my vehicle and I'm using the window mount.