eom

Late season camping

It comes down to 2 basic plans - luxury or rough it

luxury costs more than roughing it

regular tent - canvas lean too for shelter - deluxe sleeping bag zero degree or colder the rest is luxury _lol

friend uses 2 - 12 by 12 popups - tent goes under one the other is for everything else - simple and it works you can add sides to block wind

showers are rough it or luxury too - as long as you can heat water your good to go - wash basin and a folding chair behind any tree - will get the job done also doubles to wash and hang out hunting clothes I prefer to air outside every night -

like stated above - PLAN ahead and make 2 trips if necessary or make your buddy haul a load !

10x14 Kodiak, cot, pad, good sleeping bag and a buddy heater (like most said turn it on a few minutes before you go to bed and start it right before you get up). A 10x10 easy up with tarps wrapped around 3 sides to keep the weather out for cooking. Boil some water to add to the solar shower and you are good to go.

• Like 1

First off congratulations on drawing an elk tag. Plenty of good suggestions from the members here. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your hunt and best of luck to you.

• Like 2

my brother and I had this hunt two years ago. It was ok, then the weather moved in. My first bull tag so we took the entire week off for it. In fact, I took 2 weeks off. Went up before thanksgiving and set up camp, dug the hole, stacked wood, and was ready. the weather came in on the last bit and it turned cold after that. Woke up to 20 degrees. Friday morning, we woke up to everything frozen. we had to start a fire to thaw stuff out to get it back in the pop up. fun times. We used a little buddy, but with a tank adapter to run it off the big 4.5 gallon (bbq sized) propane tank. Couple of hours at night, then took turns to get up before the alarm and start the heater for a while.

Managed to borrow a cabin when we went up the next year (for my buddies hunt, on the late, late bull -the week after the 'thanksgiving bull" but didn't really need it, wasn't as cold. better safe than sorry)

---there was a CWT member here, last year offering bunk spots in his cabin in star valley. might be an option for you

I use a 10x10 tent with Mr Heater Buddy and leave it on all night as my tent is vented and they are safe to use indoors. I leave it on the low setting and it keeps the tent about 20 to 30 degrees warmer than the ambient temp.

I take my 5 pound grill bottle and use a long hose on it and it stays outside the tent. It will run for a month easy on that bottle using it just at night.

Personally I do both, often times I'll break up a long hunt by staying the night in "town" taking a shower, eating at a restaurant for a change of pace. Quite often I hunt/camp alone so after a few days it is good to have to human interaction.

• Like 1

i had the late hunt on 4b 5 years ago and stay in a hotel, it was the best thing i ever did, you get up and shower, warm, if you sleep in a tent when is 16 degrees at night you don't want to get out of your sleeping bag.

that is just my opinion, if you are hunting far away yes but 22 north there is plenty of hotels.

Spend your money on reusable gear and scouting...not unnecessary luxuries

everybody have a different opinion and i respect that but when i stayed the hotels in heber were all booked and it was all hunters, for a 5 nights i spend 350.00 and it was all worth it.

spend your money however you think is best.

I used to have a 18' fifth wheel. Put a hitch on back and hauled my rhino behind the trailer. I had this thing in some pretty bad areas and hauled it with a 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC Sierra. Never a problem.

Many options mentioned. The most important thing is sleeping well. This is a tough hunt, especially if there is snow and mud. You will need good sleep and a good attitude each day. Each person is different, so whatever you require to be able to hunt hard each day.

A couple years ago I had the Nov archery bull in 22-S. My partner and I paid a buddy to hall his toy hauler to camp for a week. It was worth it for the good sleep and shower....since I flew my brother out to join me and had my two sons visit for a few days. My son and I spent a few days at the end of the hunt in my 8x10 Coleman Insta-tent with a propane heater. It was plenty comfortable on cots in a good bag.

• Like 2

12x14 Davis Wall Tent with a 3 Dog Wood Stove is what I am running for cold weather camping. I love all the room that the tent gives me. Floorless allows me to take a sponge bath right next to my wood stove so I can stay warm when I'm wet. 3/4 of the Floor is covered in tarps, the other corner is where the wood stove is. Nothing beats having a fire in a stove in your tent when its cold and/or wet! Good sleeping bag is a must any way you slice it.

• Like 5

Late hunt guys like using the canvas tents with a wood burning stove or portable heaters to stay warm at night.. I've stayed in my buddys Dad's tent and its a canvas tent with a wood burning stove. It gets so warm in there I have to unzip my sleeping bag and sleep with nothing covering my body..

• Like 2

12x14 Davis Wall Tent with a 3 Dog Wood Stove is what I am running for cold weather camping. I love all the room that the tent gives me. Floorless allows me to take a sponge bath right next to my wood stove so I can stay warm when I'm wet. 3/4 of the Floor is covered in tarps, the other corner is where the wood stove is. Nothing beats having a fire in a stove in your tent when its cold and/or wet! Good sleeping bag is a must any way you slice it.

Agree....I have a Cabelas Alaknak 12x12 with a wood stove. When outside temp is in the teens, the inside is in the 70's. Nothing better than bedding down in a cozy sleeping bag with the glow and crackle of a fire in the stove. Although I hardly ever have a truly cold hunt, so I rarely use the stove...usually just a propane heater. The temps have to be below 35 degrees, or the stove will make it too hot.

I recently picked up a 10x10 Kodiak from Cabelas bargain cave. Much easier to set up than the Alaknak. Can't wait to try it out.

• Like 1