Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Meat question?

So came home yesterday and smelt the defrost smell from a freezer and sure enough my freezer triped the switch. All meat was still cold and bottom meat was still frozen but had the meat up top leaking the blood all over other meat. I am confident in eating the meat but the wife seems to think it is no good. What do you guys think?

Prioritize. Start cooking that most defrosted.

• Like 1

That bites! You'll probably notice on each meal...good luck! Hope you were able to quick enough, b/c to lose all that fine meat would be depressing. Hang tough

The frozen meat is still good to go. As long as the meat that was defrosted was still cool it's good, I just wouldn't re freeze it.

• Like 2

I agree. If it was still cold it is good! Cook it and eat it. Have a huge 4th of July cook out with it!

• Like 1

Yeah, mostly agree with everyone else. I faced a similar issue last summer. We moved into our new house and bought a new fridge, which didn't work. I was so pissed yelling at them on the phone trying to explain that we had 50 lbs of game meat in our fridge that would go bad. We were told it would take 5 days for a new fridge to come. I was so pissed yelling at them on the phone trying to explain that we had 50 lbs of game meat in our fridge that would go bad. Put everything in my cooler but by day 5 the top couple rows had defrotsted. They were still very cool, so we decided to give it a shot a freeze them again. Everything was still good thankfully. I think the key was that they were still very cool to the touch. If they defrosted and are warm, I'd say throw a party.

Have the in-laws over and feed it to them.

• Like 4

Happen to me last year. I created every possible flavor of jerky. The consensus favorite was sirachi garlic.

• Like 1

That sucks. If the meat was still cold it is good. My freezer in my garage is on a GFCI but the good thing is my water feature by the front door is on the same circuit. I know right away if the power is not getting to that circuit. Did the same thing for my uncles freezer in an outbuilding, wired in a weatherproof lamp socket and put a light bulb where you could see it from the house. No light either burned out bulb or no power.

Home depot has these power alarm things that you plug in the wall and plug your freezer into it.

Never plug a freezer or fridge into a gfi!!! The compressors are notorious for tripping a gfi hence the reason the fridge in your kitchen isn't protected by a gfi. I'm a service electrician and see a ton of these calls every year. There are a few different things you can do if your handy to "fix" this problem or you can just call me!:)

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the replies. So before i read this i decided to re freeze the meat. Hope it will be fine. The meet was still very cold just not frozen on top not warm at all so i hope i dont get sick cuz i am eating it lol