5nRamirez

Bighorn sheep tag

Well as luck would have it our credit card was hit for a single sheep tag.this is the first year I put the whole family inn for sheep including my 10&13 year old nephews..it is still unclear who drew the tag as we had 8 apps on the same card but most likely it's units 46A or 46B both very tough units..upon looking at outfitters they are mostly 1 on 1 guides or 2 on 1 and to top it off they wand additional charges if you bring a guest..so my question is this we have a hunting party of 10 and 8 of them use walmart binoculars like we can afford do we even stand a chance with a self guided hunt? I mean a guide is great and all but we want the entire family envolved.

• Like 1

good news on the tags. with the amount of info the azgfd supplies lucky sheep tag holders and the amount of info available elsewhere, heck yeah you can take a ram without a guide. one of the biggest desert sheep in Az was taken with a .30/30 and the guy didn't even own binos. it's just a question of how hard you want to work. i'm pretty sure you have to attend a sheep seminar before the hunt that will provide you with a buncha info on your unit. and there are always good folks that will be willing to lend their experience. have a fun time. i'm jealous. Lark.

• Like 1

Self guided is the only way i would hunt sheep. And yes in your situation you will still have a good chance.

• Like 1

If you drew a 46A or 46B tag congratulations! Just be aware these units are the hardest to access. They both have very limited road structure and both are in the wilderness boundary. Most people who draw this tag are not prepared to do this hunt and are overwhelmed. Also most outfitters wont even guide in these units because of the difficulty. Just do your homework and start preparing as soon as you can. Good luck on the hunt!

Thanks for any and all input about these tags I have specifically chosen those two units as a family friend has hunted it 6-7 years ago so I have a starting point. Just don't want to put all our eggs in one basket..

Like Average Joe said, self guided is the only way to go....for all hunts! I know a guy that got drawn for a unit in that area and did his all self guided and nailed a nice one. And he's never been to the area. He told me that when he got drawn that previous tag holders came out of the wood work and told him all kinds of helpful info. Because its not like they can ever go hunt that hunt again so they weren't hoarding the info. I assume its a month long hunt or so depending on what u guys got? You'll have plenty of time to get ready if so. Id make this my only hunt priority as far as scouting and such. Id even miss a deer or elk hunt to make sure I got that one planned out and ready. Good luck!!

• Like 2

I don't see anything wrong with getting an outfitter for a once in a lifetime hunt. if it was October coues in 36b, forget the guide. but this is desert bighorn.

• Like 3

Both of those units will provide a great sheep hunt. I know another guy who drew a tag in one of those units as well. I helped on a sheep hunt in 46b. And the gent who has the sheep tag this year helped take a 175 ram in a last year. Pm once you find out what you drew and I will try to help you out as much as I can.

• Like 2

If they have Walmart binos they probably can't afford the high dollar guide fee's. Do it your self

Are those the units that have no road access? Seems like having someone with pack animals would be a huge advantage, whether its a friend or an outfitter. I guess you've got a heck of a good problem to have!!!

• Like 1

Put the optics you need on a charge card then sell them after the hunt. As long as you take care not to damage them you will most of your money back. Or buy them from Cabelas and just return them.

• Like 1

Sheep hunting is the IMO one of the easiest hunts. Takes additional scouting, but you have 31 days to make it happen when the hunt comes around. If you are shooting for an exact score, that is where a guide makes his pay. A good guide can guess those sheep to the inch on the hoof. If you are looking for a respectable ram, and not an exact score or bust, DIY is no problem.

• Like 3

My Partner and I have spent more time in these units than any other person or guide. Especially 46B. I'm just being honest with you this is the hardest hunt you will do. Most of these guys that say this is easy have never set foot in this unit. Just be prepared and do your homework. Go get the maps and start learning the roads as soon as you find out what unit you drew.

• Like 3