apache12

Dented brass on resize.

So I understand that this is me putting to much lib on. Correct?

So I took the die apart and cleaned it up.

So my question is should I spray lube into the case. Because when just applying spray to outside the press stick considerably when resizing. To point I was nervous I'd get one stuck

I got a case lube instead of spray but I must have used to much even though I thought I was light. Dented worse. Pic is the worst one. Others are lighter

Any magic formula. Or just keep playing with it?

Can i use these dented cases while I'm working up new loads or will they have a negative effect?

Thanks

post-5454-0-29953600-1437347882_thumb.jpg

Dented case will be fine, might effect load data slightly.

Yes too much lube, i just roll them on lube pad and then wipe them with my fingers to be sure they are not over lubed.

Just takes a feel over time.

• Like 1

Clean your die and get just enough lube on the brass to tell its there.

You don't need any lube on the inside for normal loading operations.

Make sure you brush the inside of the case mouths. A very small amount of lube on your brush, or powdered dry lube will do it. If the case mouths are dry, you risk overstretching your brass. Plus, it is really annoying to keep dragging your brass over a dry expander ball.

Regarding the dented shoulders, ditto on the comments from the other posters. Also, make sure the vent hole in your sizing die is open. You can use a paper clip or safety pin to check. This is where the trapped air is allowed to bleed out to prevent denting your brass.

forepaw

Use hornady one shot lube. Problems solved

Those dents are typically from liquid type lubes. When you shoot these types on the case and ram it into the die, it has no where to go and the hydraulic action forces the case to dent to make room for the lube.

Sizing wax will cure that. Imperial sizing wax has never damaged a case for me.

• Like 3

Hornady Unique is also a good one. $1.99 / Tub and they last years. I do a ton of reloading and I have been using a tub for three years now and it's only half gone. Great stuff.

Same here with the sizing wax works the best. Just a little on my thumb and finger goes along ways. Most of that spray Lube makes the die feel sticky. Use the wax and it will be as smooth as a baby's a....

Don't put any lib on your cartridges, they will just try to ban them.😀

Sorry couldn't resist. I've never had that problem using one shot. I know a lot of the loading books say that will happen. As said before, it will just fire form back to shape once you fire it.