Desert Rat

Best rifle cartridge for open terrain - Unit 21 Whitetail hunt

If it's no fun to shoot because of recoil, why not just have a muzzlebreak installed. I am a firm believer in using one rifle for all big game hunting. It is fun to have options, but i like having a good "go to" for all big game. .243's are fine, but a not so good hit on an animal with a 300wsm as compared to a .243, will make it a more fatal shot.

Not sure I agree with this statement. Poor shot placement is poor shot placement regardless of the caliber used. There is more that comes into play than just cartridge size when a poor shot is made. Bullet construction and performance has just as much to do with it than anything. The .300WSM may deliver more energy at point of impact but depending on shot location and the bullet used it may deliver most of that energy into the dirt behind the animal rather than into it. Take for example gut shooting a deer with a 300wm at 400 yards with a solid bullet that pokes straight through and making that same shot with a .243 using a bullet like the Berger vld that fragments and dumps energy and shrapnel into the guts and surrounding organs and tissue. Chances are the deer will die either way but how quickly and humanely may very considerably. Im not saying one bullet or cartridge is better than the other I am just simply saying there is more to consider than .065" of bullet diameter.

Gut shoot a deer with a .243 and then do the same with a .338 lapua and tell me it doesn't make a difference. Without getting "ethics" involved. Everyone has made a poor shot at one time or another in their life. A big gun might waste some meat, but it's a lot less wasted meat than if the animal gets away
  • Like 1

the rifle is more important than the cartridge. for long range it takes a precision rifle, a good scope with good ammo and a skilled rifleman. i suggest a .257 weatherby accumark. or a remington sendero.

If it's no fun to shoot because of recoil, why not just have a muzzlebreak installed. I am a firm believer in using one rifle for all big game hunting. It is fun to have options, but i like having a good "go to" for all big game. .243's are fine, but a not so good hit on an animal with a 300wsm as compared to a .243, will make it a more fatal shot.

Not sure I agree with this statement. Poor shot placement is poor shot placement regardless of the caliber used. There is more that comes into play than just cartridge size when a poor shot is made. Bullet construction and performance has just as much to do with it than anything. The .300WSM may deliver more energy at point of impact but depending on shot location and the bullet used it may deliver most of that energy into the dirt behind the animal rather than into it. Take for example gut shooting a deer with a 300wm at 400 yards with a solid bullet that pokes straight through and making that same shot with a .243 using a bullet like the Berger vld that fragments and dumps energy and shrapnel into the guts and surrounding organs and tissue. Chances are the deer will die either way but how quickly and humanely may very considerably. Im not saying one bullet or cartridge is better than the other I am just simply saying there is more to consider than .065" of bullet diameter.
Gut shoot a deer with a .243 and then do the same with a .338 lapua and tell me it doesn't make a difference. Without getting "ethics" involved. Everyone has made a poor shot at one time or another in their life. A big gun might waste some meat, but it's a lot less wasted meat than if the animal gets away

If you require a .338 Lapua to hunt 85 pound deer with you have more problems than I care to tackle in this thread. If we used your method of thinking why don't we all hunt with grenade launchers that way we don't even have to actually hit the animal just get close and there might be a piece big enough to drag back to camp.

Just couldn't respond without getting ethics involved eh? Big fast bullets cause lots of shock and trauma. I've killed around 10 coues, most with a plain old .270, shot a couple with a .264. Wasn't trying to get in an argument here, just making a point. .243 does a fine job of killing any deer out there, but I have seen a couple that were hit by a .243 that got away, whereas a larger, faster projectile would have put that animal down.

to each of its own. There are plenty of calibers and cartridges suited for long range coues deer. But then again, define long range? 300 yards? 700 yard? Ethical shots are based on your own beliefs, practice, ability, and environment. There's no "too big" of a gun unless we are talking like 50BMG or 20mm rounds..... would a 500NE be too much gun for a coues?

whereas a larger, faster projectile would have put that animal down.

Who said anything about ethics? I don't care what you hunt deer with. If you shoot them with a .338 Lapua or .50BMg more power to you. Thats not my particular cup O tea but to each their own. All I simply said was that I disagree with your statement that a .30 cal is more lethal on a poor shot. All I said is that there is more to it than that and that may not always be the case.

Sounds like you want a more pleasant/enjoyable rifle to hunt and target shoot. In that case, the exact caliber probably isn't as important as the stock. One thought, shoot a bunch of different rifles (if that is possible) and find out what jives with you. Maybe even a custom fitted rifle is in your future.

my opinion so take it for what its worth if your not reloading i would go 270 or 2506 because of the factory ammo you have choices for good bullets, if your gonna reload one of the 6.5 flavor alll the way.

shoot whatever your favorite gun is? doesn't have to be rocket science and ballistic coefficients. im shooting my .243 with a poverty 3x9 on it this fall if i get a leftover tag. only because im super confident with it and its comfortable to shoot.

257 weatherby

• Like 1

I love my 243 but my go to is a 300wsm. On a calm day I can shoot rags with the 243 but when the wind picks up the 180 gets pushed around WAY LESS that a 95 grain 243 round. When the buck of your dreams finally stands up a 375 yards and there is a bit of a crosswind u will be glad u have a bullet that will buck the wind.

Shot a buck at 480 yards it was a rainy slightly windy uphill shot. He rolled down the cliff as I watched rocks turn red with blood after the shot. I know the gun. Like I know the rest of my hunting long rifles. No expert but have the luxury of being able to shoot a lot.