Sign in to follow this  
madx250

Wild Mustangs

Does any one know if these horses can be genetically linked to Spanish ponies or are they just horses that people have turned loose over the years?

Thats the issue. The bunny lovers want DNA results. Alot of the indian horses have the same DNA because they got them from the Spanish. Most of the horses on the rim are from one ranch on the WMA that got out during the rodeo fire. Do you think those guys on the rez have DNA records?? I would bet the horses on the salt are from, mostly the rez. Bottom line they are non native and should be removed. Look at what they do for non native fish or shellfish in our waters. Get rid of the horses! I wish ppl started leaving some out there taking a dirt nap...

There have been wild Horses running around in Arizona way before the rodeo fire and yes they are a pain in the butt and left unmanaged a real issue... But what you say is a bit over the top since The ELK herd we enjoy hunting is not native to Arizona ( our Native elk were hunted out) .... I know a lot of guys up north pissed at the removal of small mouth from Rim lakes heck most of our game fish species are not native, and thank god for that....

We all know there were horses here b4 the fire. According th the USFW,AZGFD, WMA Tribe and USFS. THE MAJORITY of horses above the 300road are from the WMA running from the Rodeo Chedeski 🔥. Over the top? Hunt them... Crazy I know.

My freezer is getting a little empty, looks like it's time to go horse hunting again. I think this time I'm going to get one of those real pretty paint mares. Or maybe a young colt, I hear their real tender.

• Like 1

My freezer is getting a little empty, looks like it's time to go horse hunting again. I think this time I'm going to get one of those real pretty paint mares. Or maybe a young colt, I hear their real tender.

Illegal in the US. We could sell it to the French tho.

Don't Forget the Japanese ....

I am astounded by the increase in feral livestock in areas I hunt. Bet the horses stay, government will succumb to emotion. With no natural predators, we're going to have a whole bunch more very soon. This is another no win situation for public land managers.

• Like 2

All the horse roundups we have had over here have not taken all the horses off the land. Where is the FS proposal to remove all horses? They reduce the herd of the horses but never eradicate them. When we had the old SF pen ( remember the 1980 riot?) they had a horse program where the prisoners broke the horses and then sold them for the program. I thought it was great for both the prisoners and the horses.

One time up by Farmington I cam across a snare with a horse skeleton in it. Better to round them up than have some idiot do that.

Don't Forget the Japanese ....

Some may recall a racehorse named Ferdinand, winner 1986 KY Derby and Preakness, 1987 Breeders Cup...

Went to stand stud in Japan. I think he started shooting blanks, they ate him.

• Like 2

All the horse roundups we have had over here have not taken all the horses off the land. Where is the FS proposal to remove all horses? They reduce the herd of the horses but never eradicate them. When we had the old SF pen ( remember the 1980 riot?) they had a horse program where the prisoners broke the horses and then sold them for the program. I thought it was great for both the prisoners and the horses.

One time up by Farmington I cam across a snare with a horse skeleton in it. Better to round them up than have some idiot do that.

They still do the prisoner horse program. There's one in Florence, and a few others spread out between Nevada, Utah and Colorado I believe.

I have heard they taste just like elk.

You can adotp for 125.00 that's pretty cheap per pound. Not that I did the math. Just sayin

• Like 3

I knew they were just feral horses, just wondering if the Spanish pony thing was being claimed on them.

I have heard they taste just like elk.

You can adotp for 125.00 that's pretty cheap per pound. Not that I did the math. Just sayin

Thanks , but thats just what I heard from a friend south of the border. I will hopefully take my "tastes like horse meat" from early rifle in 6b. ;)