teamrealtree

308??

Just wanting some input, I'm thinking about going from my 300wsm to a 308 I know it's smaller but would like something that takes a little less powder lol how is the 308 for elk sized game? Thanks

I saw my ex-wife shoot a bull elk at 200 yds. in the 4th rib on the right side and blow the left shoulder completely out. She was shooting a factory load with a 180 grain Winchester Silvertip . I wouldn't hesitate to take a 308 elk hunting.

• Like 1

My mom shot a bedded bull at 300 yards last year with a 165 accubond. Bull jumped up and fell right back down. Bullet broke both shoulders with a nickel sized exit.

A .308 caliber bullet is a .308 caliber bullet no matter what it is fired out of. Just moving a little slower by the time it hits the target.

• Like 1

A .308 caliber bullet is a .308 caliber bullet no matter what it is fired out of. Just moving a little slower by the time it hits the target.

God's honest truth right there. Plus, the 308 Win is possibly the most accurate 30 cal spitting cartridge.

• Like 1

Shoot it. I plan to take my 257 Weatherby with 115gr Berger's for cow elk this year. Hit them where it matters and that is what matters.

Will be using one in New Mexico this year ...

The .308 has been taking down moose for years, elk is a much smaller critter than a moose.

And as a side my son is going to use his .243 shooting 100 grain nosler partitions for cow elk this year and I ain't worried.

• Like 2

I picked up a Tikka t3 in .308 for my bull hunt this year. Put a diamondback vortex on with a dnz mount and a new airtech limbsaver. It is by far my favorite rifle now. I never saw the need for one but I was way way wrong.

post-13375-0-04826900-1439938883_thumb.jpg

post-13375-0-47621700-1439938897_thumb.jpg

• Like 2