Coach

Staying cool in a hot blind

Many of us will find ourselves sitting in a blazing hot blind this fall. Besides the obvious, take lots of water, wet t-shirt, etc., I was just wondering if anyone has some "out of the box" ideas for keeping cool.

Air conditioner? CDs from Coolio? Ice cream? Those neck cooling clothes? Cold beer (based on all the cans I find when hunting this appears to be a popular solution)? Frozen water bottles under your crotch (do not knock it until you try it)? Pictures of Antarctica on the walls?

• Like 5

Best way to stay cool in a ground blind is to sit in a treestand up in the pines. Works like a dream! Although the monsoons can make you a little nervous when you're sitting 15 up in a tree with lightning rolling in and the wind pushing you around...

• Like 3

Socks.... hear me out. You can go with the frozen water bottles too but this will keep your water cold and drinkable at the same time. Take your 20oz plastic water bottles filled with water and put one into a sock. Get the sock wet... dip it in a tank or creek or whatever and then hang it up in your blind. As the water evaporates it will cool the bottle and the water inside. Best part is that it is 'rechargeable', just add water.

Used this trick on long patrols where after the first few hours you have no cool water and its 110 in the shade.

• Like 5

Are blinds vented at the top to let hot air out? If you think you may be sweating a lot I would wear some Under Armour to absorb it.

On my archery antelope hunt, I used my scent spray and just sprayed it up in the air in the blind, it worked pretty good to cool the air for a minute or two. I also was guilty of sticking my head out of the roof vent a time or two for some fresh air. Also, an under armour heat gear shirt is worth it's weight in gold.

I wear a synthetic shirt similar to under armour that PRDATR mentions. (Man do those things stink after a few days sitting) and a cooling towel. One of the other hunters on my antelope hunt used this and said it was great...2 blocks of ice along with his water and other drinks. Solar-powered fan forced air out and made a mini-AC for the blind. Not something for a long pack in, but he said it definitely made sitting all day a lot more bearable.

post-5622-0-65084100-1439996170_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

the best thing to do is make sure your blind is shaded very well. blind in direct sunlight=long day. being shady also conceals your movement a lot more

• Like 1

On my archery antelope hunt, I used my scent spray and just sprayed it up in the air in the blind, it worked pretty good to cool the air for a minute or two. I also was guilty of sticking my head out of the roof vent a time or two for some fresh air. Also, an under armour heat gear shirt is worth it's weight in gold.

Forgot about that...re-applying scent spray is refreshing too.

I wear a synthetic shirt similar to under armour that PRDATR mentions. (Man do those things stink after a few days sitting) and a cooling towel. One of the other hunters on my antelope hunt used this and said it was great...2 blocks of ice along with his water and other drinks. Solar-powered fan forced air out and made a mini-AC for the blind. Not something for a long pack in, but he said it definitely made sitting all day a lot more bearable.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

was wondering when someone was going to throw up a pic of a redneck AC ...

• Like 2

Should have mentioned, I'll be sitting for antelope and there is NO shade to be had. BigOrange - love the pix of the home-made AC. Gotta try that some time! Thanks for all the responses.

I heard you are supposed to pee on your leg... oh wait I think that is for jellyfish, never mind! :P

You are pretty much stuck other than a water bottle to mist yourself and one of those cooling towels. I know some guys sit in shorts as well. You could bring a little battery operated fan, I have thought of it but was not sure if they make too much noise or noise critters can hear that we can't.

• Like 1