Sneaker

Camera Etiquitte

To the original poster... I have several times thought that it was For Sure someone that has stolen or messed with my cameras... but truth is that those guys may have never even seen your camera and it is possible that someone else did... Water holes and drinkers are visited by more people than you will ever get pics of. Most guys I know will go out of their way not to get on a camera and you can always count on some folks not ever even seeing you camera unless they are looking for them... especially up in a tree like that...

Either way it sucks to find that. and it is Douche Baggery, Period.

It was predictable CnS didn't like my original post.

I have several times thought that it was For Sure someone that has stolen or messed with my cameras...
How many cameras does CnS run? 10, 20? Who many cameras does the A3 team run? 3x that?

How about all the other guys out there looking for the team? 100 total?

How many jumbo auction bucks and bulls were found by the cam army in the last 5 years?

Again I believe comes down to fair chase which is intertwined with proper etiquette.

This is how B&C define fair chase, from their web site...

As a means of separating the actions of commercial market hunters from those of legitimate sportsmen, an ethical code of hunter conduct was discussed at the first meeting of the Boone and Crockett Club in 1887. The name given to this code was, fair chase.

Fair chase embodies the ideal of paying respect for the traditions of hunting, and not overwhelming game species by human capabilities. It has been embraced by hunters as the proper conduct of a sportsman in the field, and taught to new hunters for over a century. As with any guideline that applies both under the law and within those things that cannot and should not be legislated, interpretations can vary. Past laws set by the expectations of society or those to protect, conserve and manage wildlife resources, ethics in hunting ultimately rests with the individual in what each feels is right and acceptable or wrong and unacceptable, and what technologies or methods are necessary or unnecessary to be successful.

Position

The Boone and Crockett Club believes that the actions of sportsmen, individually and collectively reflect either positively or negatively on hunting and therefore should be guided by principles whether applying to the activities of hunting in general or for the qualification of trophies into the Club’s big game record book. As such, fair chase has been defined by the Club as “the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.”

The Club further believes a hunter who engages in a one-to-one relationship with the quarry, should be guided by a hierarchy of ethical behavior related to hunting, which includes the following tenets:

1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.
  2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting occurs.
  3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on your abilities and sensibilities as a hunter.
  4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill as certain and quick as possible.
  5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to the hunter, the hunted, or the environment.
  6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the hunter's experience of the relationship between predator and prey, which is one of the most fundamental relationships of humans and their environment.

How does running a 100 cams (876,000 hours per year) not give you an unfair advantage? There are probably thousands of cameras out in the AZ woods right now(if not unit 22 &23 alone) No wonder we have had numerous "once in a lifetime animals" being taken recently. Even if I spend a lifetime chasing giants, it will never add up to what our precious cams can.

While i will agree the proper etiquette doesn't include shooting up cams, but I argue that perhaps proper etiquette may be to not have them at all.

• Like 2

I read this thread and scratch my head. Everyone expects others to be nice and to not touch their Camera...sounds like a bunch of Democrats.

I have had it with cameras on every waterhole I come across. We all like to walk a waterhole to get an idea of what is around but not to have our photo and video

taken.

I visited 6 waterholes this last weekend, 2 in the wilderness of which one was 1.5 mi past the "barrier". Of course, most likely, the camera owner drove past the barrier and into the wilderness to access the camera.

My "camera Etiquette" has changed from acceptance to, If i had my 9mm with me I would have put multiple bullet holes in these cameras and most likely will the next time I am in the wilderness!

I believe it is a question of fair chase. Get out and pound the dirt to scout instead of a single camera providing 8,760 hours a year doing it for you!

Haha, So you will destroy others property because you are the mainman hunter supreme???

Not just this, but he/she makes a huge assumption that the other person drove past the barrier to hang a camera where he/she, the almighty, was the only person responsible enough to walk to.

Get off your high horse, already. Shooting someone's camera is as irresponsible as your vote for Obama!

As for fair chase: I hope the pot is not calling the kettle black with his/her high-powered scope mounted to his/her high-powered rifle, using his/her electronic range finder prior to a shot, after spotting the animal with his/her spotting scope from 1,000+ yards. Only Davy Crockett-style kills from here forward with a knife blade he/she forged with his/her bare hands. I look forward to his/her new thread: "Manly-man fair chase kills, the likes of which I am the only one worthy on this forum." It will be riveting, I am sure.

Live and let live. Don't like cameras? Don't use them. Don't want your picture taken in public? Stay home, find private land to hunt, or avoid public waterholes. Trust me, I don't like deleting your picture off my camera anymore than you like my camera taking your picture. Guess what. It is the price I pay for hanging my camera where I know you will walk by it. But, I do have a reasonable expectation that my camera will not be shot by your 9mm because you don't like it. If you walk around a waterhole leading up to, during, and a little while following hunting season, you MUST expect a camera will be pointed towards it. If you expect anything less, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You are of bad moral character if you destroy someone else's property because you don't like it being there. I see similarities in that thought process and those of the Democrat party.

• Like 3

I read this thread and scratch my head. Everyone expects others to be nice and to not touch their Camera...sounds like a bunch of Democrats.

I have had it with cameras on every waterhole I come across. We all like to walk a waterhole to get an idea of what is around but not to have our photo and video

taken.

I visited 6 waterholes this last weekend, 2 in the wilderness of which one was 1.5 mi past the "barrier". Of course, most likely, the camera owner drove past the barrier and into the wilderness to access the camera.

My "camera Etiquette" has changed from acceptance to, If i had my 9mm with me I would have put multiple bullet holes in these cameras and most likely will the next time I am in the wilderness!

I believe it is a question of fair chase. Get out and pound the dirt to scout instead of a single camera providing 8,760 hours a year doing it for you!

Haha, So you will destroy others property because you are the mainman hunter supreme???

Get off your high horse, already. Shooting someone's camera is as irresponsible as your vote for Obama!

This is funny as heck right here.... The whiners who can only use cams and cry about them are the ones with the liberal stand in this dog and pony show! And you are calling the guy liberal by implying they are an Obama supporter.... THERE IS NOTHING CONSERVATIVE ABOUT USING GAME CAMS FOR HUNTING !

the cam army is out. Why don't we take a poll and see many cameras are out there, add them all up.

Tell us if you think it is fair chase.

I do have high power binos, spotter and a rifle that can shoot further than i can, the works.

The difference is i am spending time in the field and not letting the army of cams do my 24/7/365 scouting.

I also run 2 cams, and yes they are on private property.

Saw a camera and an unused pop-up blind on a nice tank in 6B while elk hunting last weekend. Nobody was on the tank for the first 3 days of the archery season, so a buddy of mine put a stand up on a tree (different tree than the camera was on) to sit the tank for a couple of evenings. While we were hanging the stand I walked in front of the camera, paused, and gave a big smile and thumbs-up to let the camera guy know we were there and didn't have a problem with his property being strapped to the tree.

Hopefully the camera operator takes the pic(s) of me and my goofy mug for what they were intended, a simple 'how do you do.....'. ;)

Cameras in trees and on posts? Who cares.... :rolleyes: ​Does not impact me in the least....

Good luck everyone!

S.

• Like 1

taken.

This is funny as heck right here.... The whiners who can only use cams and cry about them are the ones with the liberal stand in this dog and pony show! And you are calling the guy liberal by implying they are an Obama supporter.... THERE IS NOTHING CONSERVATIVE ABOUT USING GAME CAMS FOR HUNTING !

And Str8tShot joins the ranks of those making bad assumptions and following with an ill-informed implications.

My use of satire was deliberate and in response to GWB's outlandish comment that someone who expects "others to be nice and not touch their cameras" sounds like a Democrat. That is EXACTLY what everyone should expect! The liberal view, IMHO, is that the forest is his, no one should use technology that he opposes, and he "most likely will" shoot others' property because of his disapproval of its use. I liken it to the government telling me that I can only use 7 round magazines because Nacy Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats think 10 rounds are too many. Sounds like his "fair chase" argument, no? Built on nothing more than personal feelings, not supporting data.

GWB is the one whining about everyone having cameras on every waterhole, including one 1.5 miles from the barrier that, "Of course, most likely, [they] drove past..." and he is going to serve as Judge, jury, and executioner to remedy the situation to his personal liking. Exactly the type of agenda the left has.

To add insult to injury, GWB admits to having 2 cameras, albeit on private property, for the purpose of scouting. Again, typical lefty mentality of "Do as I say, not as I do."

Do the cameras left at waterholes personally affect anyone but the owner? They should not. Walk past, flip the bird, show your butt, or simply tuck your chin and continue on. Hunt the hole if you wish. The only thing a camera does is serve notice that someone else is interested in knowing what game visits it. It is not a warning to stay away. It is not someone claiming the territory for himself.

Those who physically disturb others' personal property are, IMHO, of bad moral character. Unfortunately, there are tons of those people out there. For that reason, I choose not to use a camera on public land. However, I have a goal of each and every camera in the units that I hunt capturing a picture of my bare butt, displayed for the hopeful laugh it is intended to provoke, during my scouting operations. Feel free to start a new thread, "Full Moon Tonight" to track my progress! A lot of people should be able to participate. LOL.

For the record: I am purposely using GWB's Democrat accusation against him, since clearly, based on his original accusation, one could infer he is not a Democrat. Just in case the obvious eluded anyone. I am purposefully over-accusing to drive home the point, and I think it is working (Str8tShot surely took the bait). LOL. No real offense meant to GWB. I am just tired of people being too sensitive and worried about what everyone else around them is doing.

Str8tShot - please provide data to support your claim of the relationship between conservatism and game camera use. If it starts with you feeling anything, spare us the gory details and take your liberal slant to the Hillary2016.com/forums. [Where is the double finger-flipping emoticon?]

Everyone take a step back, take a deep breath, and ask yourself, "Does this [fill in the blank] hurt me physically/financially?" When the answer is no, move along contently. If the answer is yes, well, feel free to bitch on a forum where nobody is in a position to render you appropriate aid.

Let me tuck this soap box back under my liquor cabinet...

• Like 2

I know... lets get on our Neanderthal outfits, knap some flint, and chase a herd off a bluff so we can meet the "Fair" chase expectations of our Ethics Drum Beaters... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: Because anything less than that is Progress and we are dirty, sorry, lazy, SOB's for using ANY Progress to our advantage. I am sure that it is not any matter whether you have 2 cams or a 100... but it is YOUR Choice. And for the record, the finders of the last Auction buck had a couple cams and used them to confirm patterns of the buck AFTER they found his sheds! So I think methodology is also a choice of the individual. I don't think your dumb if you don't use cameras, or scopes, or compound bows, or binos... I think it is your choice, in a free country. and if you happen to take a Giant with less then it is awesome and if you get it on TC, spot it at 2 miles, and run to 650 yds and tip it over it is just as awesome! Envy is great and sometimes productive... but Jealousy is poison and we see it every day on here and out there....

GWB sorry I didn't like your post... if it makes you happy I will try harder to see wisdom in your words and like your posts?? :unsure: :lol: I'll take the comment as a compliment, as I always do.

Cheers, and Good Hunting!

• Like 2

Envy is great and sometimes productive... but Jealousy is poison and we see it every day on here and out there....

I'm stealing this😀
  • Like 1

In a "world according to me", most roads would be closed during hunting season. There are so many friggin roads that it is a road hunters paradise. Walk-in would be part of the idea of fair chase in my imaginary world.

. If you took assisted travel out of the hunting equation, so many people would quit hunting that most tags could be over the counter.

But it isn't the "world according to me" in which I live, so I try to focus my attention on those things I appreciate and try not to waste too much time thinking about those things that i do not appreciate. For each their own. Happy hunting. :)

• Like 4

Scouted a spot over the weekend in 23 that I have come close to outwitting those dumb turkeys in the past and walked a few water holes during midday looking for telltale tracks. I didn't see any cameras and these few tanks were right on the sides of the road.

Did a fair amount of walking too and didn't see any cameras but since I don't have any out there but it doesn't really effect me anyway.

I agree with GWB about what "fair chase" is, but for Az hunting, fair chase is not a requirement to hunt here. If your desire is to have 10 people find that elk for you, then it's available. If you want to go alone, as I do, then it's available. I like the concept of "fair chase" by Pope and Young, Fred Bear, and Chuck Adams, but it's not for everyone.

Tom Miranda has been recently bragging big-time about his big game success, but every show, you'll see that he has a top notched guide from the area and can't find game on his own if he tried.

To each his own.

I like your Point and that is what I love about AZ is that the Law allows for us to choose.

Not that I like Tom Miranda... but do you know his story? Guy was a very successful trapper when I was a kid. I read about him and his articles and he was an Icon in that world, at that time... he dropped off my radar when Trapping came under fire, got banned and fur prices crashed. And years later I he showed up in the TV Hunting world... I am pretty sure he was involved in a TON of hunting in Northern NM (Chama, etc) during my teen years...

But, my point is, anybody who has hunted abroad will tell you that if you have limited time you can't do it all DYI... knowledge of the country is priceless to any good hunter. Not to mention many place require that you hire help... It should never be insinuated that a good hunter could possibly know the best spots in every place they have hunted, nor does it discount their ability if they get help. Good hunters may not always get the biggest prize, whether they hunt alone or with help, but their kill percentage on every hunt will be very high. Is see both, and there are guys that can't get it done even with help... some guys will choke, miss, freeze, and squander opportunity after opportunity, regardless of how much help they have finding the critters, I guess is my point.... :rolleyes: :D :lol:

Oh and Camera Etiquette? Put up as many as you like, and feel free to put them on the same water as the next guy(s) cams... or mine... Moon them, flip them off, hide from them, just don't touch them. be kind to your fellow outdoor enthusiast! TC's are my Wife and I's favorite outdoor thing to do together... No pressure, no schedule, see lots of country, picnic, spend time with our dogs, Ice cold beverages, and "Us" time.... while getting to look at critters too.... and if your reason for running (or not running) cams is different than mine, well that is cool to, just get out there and live it! Cheers and good Hunting!!

I agree with GWB about what "fair chase" is, but for Az hunting, fair chase is not a requirement to hunt here. If your desire is to have 10 people find that elk for you, then it's available. If you want to go alone, as I do, then it's available. I like the concept of "fair chase" by Pope and Young, Fred Bear, and Chuck Adams, but it's not for everyone.

Tom Miranda has been recently bragging big-time about his big game success, but every show, you'll see that he has a top notched guide from the area and can't find game on his own if he tried.

To each his own.

• Like 3