Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Using a heater in tent...

I've never tried the Buddy heaters. Seemed they had problems early on....some years ago. I use an old blaster type that threads to a large tank. It heats up a tent in a hurry. I turn it on before bed, shut it off at night. Turn it on in the morning to take the chill off. Always keep the tent vented. if it's real cold, I take my Alaknak tent with wood stove.

• Like 1

Just to clear up some confusing statements in this thread, some Buddy heaters have an O2 sensor built in, meaning they should shut down if oxygen levels reach a low point, but does nothing for CO2 or CO accumulations. CO (carbon monoxide) is a serious killer and you can get a battery operated detector about anywhere for $15. CO2 (carbon dioxide) is less of an issue but could be an issue at high concentrations, even with adequate oxygen levels. I sometimes use a Big Buddy in my Kodiak 10x10 with a "household" style CO alarm that runs on AAs, and I try to strategically vent so there's some airflow but I don't lose all the heat.

• Like 2

Just to clear up some confusing statements in this thread, some Buddy heaters have an O2 sensor built in, meaning they should shut down if oxygen levels reach a low point, but does nothing for CO2 or CO accumulations. CO (carbon monoxide) is a serious killer and you can get a battery operated detector about anywhere for $15. CO2 (carbon dioxide) is less of an issue but could be an issue at high concentrations, even with adequate oxygen levels. I sometimes use a Big Buddy in my Kodiak 10x10 with a "household" style CO alarm that runs on AAs, and I try to strategically vent so there's some airflow but I don't lose all the heat.

What are you clearing up .. All the current Mr. heater Buddy models have the ODS and the only ones not indoor safe are the Massachusetts/Canada models ... and no one said that a portable co2 detector is not a bad idea or to seal up your tent air tight ... again what are you clearing up ?

Looks like I'll have to buy a carbon monoxide alarm. Can never be too safe!

I would buy the large one it is able to run just one side on low and if it is really cold you can crank it to med or high and have the extra power. Had dec cow elk hunt south of flagstaff a few years ago and -18f a couple days and that big heater on high would warm the 28 foot travel trailer in about 5 minutes. The small heater would but took alot longer. I reccomend the hose kit and a large bottle as well. If you get the big buddy it also has a fan to increase the output.

I would highly recommend reading up in these heaters. Very bad if in a small space with low ventilation. You must have air flow. These units deplete oxygen and as they do they start to degrade in function and emit harmful components. The suggestions to heat the room or space and then turn off is the best route but if you have good air flow it should be safe to run all night. I myself use on in my horse trailer all night and have windows and roof vent open but I will not do this in the future. It is too risky in my opinion.

• Like 1

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/mr-heater-tank-top-heater/63708&affiliateid=5571

i got one of these. it works great but is loud af and i always think im going to blow myself up or die of asphyxiation. this whole thread just made me feel like i was sleeping in a tent with walls dripping wet and that cold moist pillow feel from having a heater running in the tent

• Like 1

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/mr-heater-tank-top-heater/63708&affiliateid=5571

i got one of these. it works great but is loud af and i always think im going to blow myself up or die of asphyxiation. this whole thread just made me feel like i was sleeping in a tent with walls dripping wet and that cold moist pillow feel from having a heater running in the tent

yup, thats what I run, but an old version. I dont see the need to run a heater all night. Just pack a good bag. Nothing beats wood heat when its really cold.

• Like 1

For sure don't sleep with this one on! I've got one and it does a great job warming things up quickly. They make one that has double burners that works great too. Just not a sleeping heater.
  • Like 1

I have used a Mr. Heater for years in a tent. Tent is vented, heater is on low all night, I am not dead. I do hook to a 20 lb bottle that is left outside the tent. I keep the heater up off the floor of the tent. My only complaint is that the tent get alot of moisture inside when it is cold out.

• Like 1

I have used this type heater for over 20+ years. The older ones were square. Have had hunts where we have had 2 going all night in our outfitters tent. We always make sure that the tent is well ventilated and have never had any issues at all.

post-10954-0-08152900-1441381563.jpg

• Like 1

I use a big buddy in my 10x14 kodiak attached to a 20lb tank. I keep it running on low all night long and it's so nice! I keep the vents opened and the windows cracked a little just to be safe. Never had an issue.

• Like 3

Have run a smaller Buddy most of the night (until the small propane can ran out) in an older tent trailer...naturally ventilated as old tent trailers tend to be. Kept it warm and we all lived to tell about it. The guy with the smallest bladder got to fire it back up before the rest of us got out of our bags in the morning.

Picked up a Coleman ProCat catalytic heater used a couple years ago, but haven't used it myself a lot. It works well and is advertised as indoor safe too. I always plan to use it instead of the dragon propane-hog in our travel trailer, but then I never do. Easier to flip the switch for that one without even getting out of bed. :D

• Like 2

I have both the buddy and the little buddy using 1lb bottles. On my last elk hunt I'd fire one up when I was in the camper for the night getting ready for the morning and the bottle would run out while sleeping. Kept the little buddy by me with fresh tank to fire up in the morning for a bit. Not the cheapest option but worked well for me. Kept two small vents cracked.

• Like 1