Looking back at the original post of this thread, it's hard to ask for a story when it wasn't someone directly involved who started it to begin with. Or maybe they were?? Idk.

That said, obviously some who've responded know the story and for one reason or another don't feel inclined to share. That's their deal.

Listen, I'm happy for the guy. And for those involved who didn't pull the trigger, I can only dream that someday I'll get to watch a buck like that through the binos, let alone wrap my tag around one. Congrats to you guys and you should feel honored.

But as long as you put a buck of that caliber on a COUES deer site and feel it's important to let everyone know you were involved (watermarks, comments or whatever), tell us of the adventure!

Haters will hate. And I hope that's not how my posts are coming across. I don't need to tear anyone else down to make my puny bucks seem more legit.

My only suggestion was a story goes a long ways. That's all.

• Like 3

Jealousy

Jealous of who? Only person I'm jealous of is the Azgfd who gets to cash the checks for something they essentially had no part of.

I freely admit that im jealous of this guy. Of course im also jealous of every single other user thats spent more than two days in the field this year! Old grumpy and jealous, as they say. :D

Jealousy

Jealous of who? Only person I'm jealous of is the Azgfd who gets to cash the checks for something they essentially had no part of.
I freely admit that im jealous of this guy. Of course im also jealous of every single other user thats spent more than two days in the field this year! Old grumpy and jealous, as they say. :D

Haha no kidding I'm on a grand total of 1 day hunted

Guest 300ultramag.

This is a stellar buck! Good job to the a3 squad and the hunter.

Guides and outfitters aren't evil but big animals makes average joes act a little cookoo

• Like 5

how does it work? cuernos found it, then called A3 because they have a contract with the auction hunter so he can come over and shoot it? just asking srs question if anyone knows

how bad would it suck if you were a local with a tag and watch it all summer then it gets smacked before the season even starts by a Thurston Howell and his crew

maybe they need an asterisk next to the animal in the books. *shot with year long auction tag.

or maybe theyll just start listing the name of the outfitter instead of the hunters in the books lol

Cuernos didn't find it. And neither did A3. Hopefully the true story gets told. It's a doozie.
  • Like 2

how does it work? cuernos found it, then called A3 because they have a contract with the auction hunter so he can come over and shoot it? just asking srs question if anyone knows

how bad would it suck if you were a local with a tag and watch it all summer then it gets smacked before the season even starts by a Thurston Howell and his crew

maybe they need an asterisk next to the animal in the books. *shot with year long auction tag.

or maybe theyll just start listing the name of the outfitter instead of the hunters in the books lol

Cuernos didn't find it. And neither did A3. Hopefully the true story gets told. It's a doozie.
Me too

Hope the story is told as well. Incredible animal!

Somewhere in the thread "pimped out" was used. That's how a lot of these hunts come across sometimes. A lot of kudos get thrown around also. Guys in the business shouldn't be offended when questions are asked on a public forum.

I am not jealous (well maybe that currently I don't have the opportunity to be in the hills as much) but when the congrats are handed out to the contracted guide service I can't help but wonder... Kudos to them for finding, patterning, and enabling the shooter to have an opportunity at the animal OR kudos to them for shelling out biggest $$$ for the finders fee? It is not lost on me that their role in the contract is to provide the opportunity.

Bottom line is that deer was killed by money. Money for gov tag, money for high dollar guide, money for a finders fee. If you had more of it (or were willing to part with more of it) than the guy who did all the buying, it could be you in the pic with all the watermarks. Pretty simple. Absolutely no disrespect to him or anyone like him. He got what he paid for. Congrats to him.

When I see these pics I am in awe of the wild animal that grew on wild lands, but I would be lying if I said my mind didn't begin to wonder just how much money is laying there on the ground.

I hope my words don't detract from the awesomeness of this Coues and help explain the thoughts of many.

• Like 4

Yup and all the money hill make because its the new world record

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. GIGANTIC deer but not the new world record.

Well everyone, I'm the owner of this beautiful creature. It's been a lifetime dream to be in a position to buy the governors tag (bucket list). I'm a AZ native and have been hunting Coues for 35 years, I have killed on my own (5 bucks from 105-141) I train hard every year to hump a 50+ pound pack and I'm not a rich guy that does this for a hobby, Coues are my life! The purpose of the governors tag is to enhance the AZ habitat and "help" the people who draw state tags. And by doing that we get the opportunity to hunt before the state hunts start. I feel bad for a few of the replies that are haters, you'll always be haters. I know you haters would all like to believe that this buck was chained up to a tree and then I backed off and heart shot it at 500yd lol...but the truth is I did hire two outfitters A3 & Cuernos they are both very very good outfitters! The honest truth is the Governors tag politics has been a pain in the butt, I bought the tag with intentions of having a great time but it wasn't working out that way for me in the beginning. But when I met up with Matt, Devin and Brandon Taylor it all changed. We hunted HARD humping miles with lots of gear, set up on this buck 3x at 850 yards and I passed, ran out of light. The second day we went back in and set up two more times and he finally made a mistake. I'm still on cloud 9 and humbled by the chance to harvest a buck of this caliber, it's a buck of 10 lifetimes! After working hard my entire life I'm now in a position to buy the governors tags for the next 10 YEARS! So thank you to the people who supported me and made my dream buck come true. Look for my pics next year for another giant Coues buck because I'll be on here again. Thank you to my wife Jackie McDermott who bought me this tag and to Cuernos and A3! Chad, Jay and Matt.. We all experienced a once in a lifetime opportunity, I have new friends for life now....Brandon McDermott

• Like 10

One and only question. I don't want an exact but where abouts in 27 was it killed? The back ground could be anywhere but it looks like a place on a hillside I knew well growing up. Thanks for posting the story, that deer has more inches than my last 3 deer!