Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Spark Plug Remover

Anybody have the Ford spark plug remover tool? I am getting ready to do my 07 F150 and am worried about breaking them off, as has been well documented.

Motorcraft plugs. 9/16" will do it unless they break. These fords are known for breaking plugs off.

• Like 1

The triton motor is know for brakeing off plugs when the wrong plugs are used. The wrong plugs are too long and threads extend into the combustion camber and get coated with carbon. During removal the carbon sticks in the threads forcing the remover to over torque them and brake them off.

• Like 1

I own my own shop and have the tool for removal I suggest driving and getting it hot and pulling them out fast the carbon is loose when hot but may still have one or two stick we can do the whole job for you if you like

• Like 4

Get it nice and hot and soak the plugs in wd40 or pb blaster. 9 times out of 10 you will get them out. Afterwards I suggest you start it up in an open area ( not a garage) because all the soaking liquid will need to burn off. Makes a lot of smoke

I think anti seize on the threads when you put the new ones in is helpfull also.. Thats what i do but mine is the 5.8

• Like 1

The method I have found to work best is blow out the plug well with compressed air, back each plug out about 1/4 turn, soak them with a carb cleaner, carb cleaner works well because it helps loosen the carbon. let the carb cleaner work for an hour or so, longer is better. Then back them off 1/4 turn and turn them in 1/4 turn like you are tapping threads, do this until the plug is out, this allows the carbon to break loose and fall into the cylinder rather than jam the plug.blow out the cylinder with air and move on to the next one. This takes some time but it is still less time than if you break one. Good idea to have the tool though, wish I had one to let you borrow. good luck!

I think anti seize on the threads when you put the new ones in is helpfull also.. Thats what i do but mine is the 5.8

I'm not incredibly handy and have spastic fingers myself and this seems to keep me out of trouble.

I bought the tool from CarQuest and ended up not needing it. All my plugs came out without breaking. Returned it for a full refund.

What tool might that be? I will be putting new spark plugs in my F150 soon and have heard about the horror stories!