Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

getting in early am

Ok up at 3 am grab coffee heat up burrito and hit the road. Trailhead at 3:45 eat burrito drink coffee.

Load pack up and hit the trail by 4:15 am and slowly walk in the dark adjusting to the light listening for bugles.

How do some others get in early morning without breaking your neck? Figured headlamps was bad idea.

• Like 1

My opinion on the head lamp debate is not important but I totally support your choice of breakfast food. Arizona is burrito country! haha. Nothing better than coffee and a good burro. Good luck!

• Like 1

No doubt, I have many converts to burritos, I make them ahead and wrap in foil so you just toss on grill or stove and warmbthen hit the trail. Made about 20 or so this trip. Hard to beat.

• Like 2

Using a red headlamp I have almost stepped on pronghorn in the dark. If its too dark to see I use red.

I always use a head lamp. I figure its better to risk spooking something than to try and pack it out with a busted neck, leg or bum.

• Like 2

I have a headlamp but usually it is off and I have a LED flashlight that is about 850 lumens that I hold on to and keep it on the lowest setting. Less glare than the headlamp and seems to work ok for me.

Headlamp here too when I can't see without it. White while covering a lot of ground, switch to red as I get closer.

As for burritos, I wrap them up and throw them on the engine manifold when I leave the house. If you have a 2+ hour drive, they are piping hot when you get to the trailhead.

Headlamp coffee, donut, or burrito. I like a walking stick in the darkness due to my spider experiences down south. Big spiders make their webs between the mesquites which equals a major freak out on my part when in my face. I use the stck out in front at face height to knock down the webs.

• Like 1

Headlamp pointed down so it throws on the ground in front of me, hand held led lamp when needing a little more throw to see what I may be heading into... I am not so worried about the light as I am the sounds so try to move as slow and quiet as possible. I have been on deer and elk in the dark at 20 -30 feet throwing a light on them while they fed with no regard to the light... add sound and movement and they head out quick. Burritos are great up and until they cause extra unwanted sounds :P

• Like 1

Headlamp coffee, donut, or burrito. I like a walking stick in the darkness due to my spider experiences down south. Big spiders make their webs between the mesquites which equals a major freak out on my part when in my face. I use the stck out in front at face height to knock down the webs.

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way! Even in the pines, I'm always hiking in to my treestand with my hand in front of my face to knock down spider webs. Even after I wipe them off, I'm still sure I can feel the builder climbing up my neck or in my ear or something. :blink: