Sign in to follow this  
TwoOneEight Photography

6A newbie

Well I started my first archery Elk hunt not knowing what I was getting into . After months of educating and learning from friends and all you folks on coueswhitetail who were glad to spread some pointers, I still didn't punch out my tag :( with Electrical school and work I was only able to get at it on 3-4 day weekends :( this past weekend I had found a mnt were lots of Bulls were bedding so everyday I was hiking up into their bed chasing and chasing Bulls . I than put 2 and 2 together now knowing that one of their steps are like 3 of our steps so my buddy kept telling me "you gotta run and stick with em" . After 3 days running all over this steep mnt Sunday came around. Knowing that this may be the last day I'm able to hunt I had a shot threw some branches at a 5x6 but I passed thinking of a better first Bull . After chasing a few more Bulls I started to think I messed up and should of fired an arrow :( talk about being so down, sad, tired depressed. Now I'm unsure if I have time to get back out :( so much time , effort an money involved it drives a man insane lol . Lessons learned I guess .

That's why it's called hunting and not killing. Take what you learned and put it to use next time.

• Like 7

I guess here I go being a troll again. but why be depressed and worried how much time and money you invested in a hunt and didn't kill. the "hunt" is the fun part, killing is just a bonus.

• Like 6

Money and time spent in the field is money and time well spent, not wasted. Every hunt or trip to the woods is invaluable to learning to be a good and successful hunter. A lot of people (myself included) would have loved to get an elk tag this year, and wouldn't be "sad and depressed" if we didn't punch a tag. Pick your chin up, pull up your pants and take that slap that mother nature delivered on the chin with a grin.

• Like 4

highs and lows!

James

• Like 1

One year I passed on an old 5x5 bull in the bottom on a canyon in 23 because he was walking uphill to my left at about 40 yards and I didn't feel comfortable with the shot with my skill as an archer on a moving target.

A few years later up in 12AW I passed on a easy shot on a tall 4x4 as he ran across a meadow about 50 yards away on opening morning of rifle season because I felt there were bigger deer to be had. Next day weather moved in and I didn't have another opportunity the rest of the hunt, so it goes. No regrets just memories and I'd do the same thing if presented with the same situation.

• Like 2

Sounds like you had a good time chasing elk. Sorry you didn't get the outcome you wanted but a bad day elk hunting is always better than a day at electrical school and if it isn't then maybe hunting isn't your thing.

Money and time spent in the field is money and time well spent, not wasted. Every hunt or trip to the woods is invaluable to learning to be a good and successful hunter. A lot of people (myself included) would have loved to get an elk tag this year, and wouldn't be "sad and depressed" if we didn't punch a tag. Pick your chin up, pull up your pants and take that slap that mother nature delivered on the chin with a grin.

Agreed. I've never felt I've wasted money going on hunt. Something like Disneyland on the other hand that's what I consider waste of money but don't tell that to my wife.

• Like 3

I wouldn't feel too bad. Success rate for that hunt has averaged just over 20% for the past 4 years or so. You're with the 80% majority not filling their tags. At least you had a chance to get out there.

• Like 3

Don't beat yourself up too much. It was your first archery elk hunt. I could write a book about my first archery elk hunt. Seriously. It was a comedy of errors on my part. One mistake after the other. By the end of the hunt, I almost had it figured out. No bull, but I took those lessons learned and now use them on every hunt going forward.

Good luck on your future hunts!

i don't know about everyone else but it's hunts like that is what keeps me wanting more. After you don't fill a tag but are seeing animals and getting close, it becomes an addiction. You can't wait to get in the mountains and chase them again and try new tactics because you know that one day your gonna make it happen. If it were as easy to get out of your truck and call a bull in and shoot him it would get boring and not near as rewarding. That's just my 2 cents

• Like 2

Good luck on your next hunt. You'll get it done sooner or later. I (like others) would rather spend the time and money scouting\hunting than go to Disneyland or any other amusement park. The woods is our amusement park :)

• Like 1

Better to have passed on the shot than to take a bad shot and wound an elk.

Sounds like a great hunt to me. Even getting an opportunity is an achievement. Congrats, and enjoy the memories you made.

• Like 1