208muley

Breaking a new one in?

So I just got a new rifle and want to go out and break in the barrel. It's a 6.5 creed. So what are some methods you guys use and why? Thx in advance!

My method

FIRST 10 SHOTS
After each shot:

1. Use two consecutive patches of a bore solvent to wet the bore.
  2. Wet a nylon brush with bore solvent and scrub the bore 10-15 times.
  3. Wet the bore with a patch of bore solvent.
  4. Run a dry patch through to remove bore solvent.
  5. Saturate a patch with a copper solvent/cream. Work back and forth in the bore five or six times.
  6. Remove copper solvent/cream with several consecutive patches of bore solvent.
  7. Finish with two consecutive dry patches. To further protect against copper buildup add a small amount of bore conditioner/oil to a patch and run through the bore two times.
  8. Run a dry patch through to remove excessive bore conditioner/oil.

NEXT 20 SHOTS

1. Repeat above procedure after five consecutive shots.

208 I would follow mogollonman's advice, cuz geez, how long did it take to type that out...;-)

• Like 1

More and more bench rest shooters are saying forget everything you've ever heard about barrel break in and bore cleaning. Just shoot it and let the barrel cool between groups. Clean it occasionally

• Like 5

^^^^^

Just shoot and have fun. Everything else is a waste of time and money.

• Like 5

I have quite a few premium quality barrels and I have on more than one occasion watched the gun shoot tighter and tighter groups during the break-in process while shooting the same load. I am a believer in proper break in.

• Like 1

i talked to a guy that makes some of the best long range rifles in the world right now just the other day about this. he said just shoot it. might clean it after the first 20 rounds, but after that it just depends on what you want to do. said the high quality barrels made now are so smooth inside that the build up is neglible. they have barrel making improved so much that break in and follow up cleaning just isn't required like it has been in the past. Lark.

I have quite a few premium quality barrels and I have on more than one occasion watched the gun shoot tighter and tighter groups during the break-in process while shooting the same load. I am a believer in proper break in.

Obviously this has nothing to do with the fact that barrels shoot better when fouled than squeeky clean.

When you shoot a new barrel you are "breaking it in"........the whole shoot and clean mess is a waste of time and materials. I run patches through a new barrel to clean out oil and crud from the manufacturing process and then don't touch them till the accuracy drops off.

• Like 2

If working with a lapped match barrel, any break in is primarily removing any machining burrs in the throat from chambering process. That only takes cleaning for the first 3-4 shots. A barrel will usually settle in after that, but that will occur whether you clean or not...

Lots of differing opinions for sure. I'm usually investing quite a bit of money into a new rifle, developing a load for it, etc. I'm going to shoot quite a few rounds thorough it anyway, so I'm not spending anything extra on rounds. FOR ME the extra couple of hours of time cleaning during break-in (shooting is a hobby that I enjoy so why rush it?) and a few dollars in cleaning supplies is well worth the piece of mind I get knowing it was done properly, even if is doesn't make a difference in the long run. A new rifle setup is a big investment in time and money for most of us, so why risk rushing it?