Sign in to follow this  
azbullelkman

Let's Make a Deal if you have 12 or More Bonus Points

Great idea, I hope someone takes you up on your offer!!!

It's simple: you're profiting (being compensated in one way or another) for assisting someone in the taking of wildlife. Basically the definition of a guide. Most likely nothing would come of it.....unless you or your BP buddy shot a monster bull. Then things always get complicated.

Just be careful how you do this. And if anyone considers taking this guy up on his offer, be just as careful. You're probably an honest guy with great intentions. Just be careful all the way around.

• Like 1

ARS 17-101(11) defines when you're a guide. If you're a guide, you need a guide license (ARS 17-362).

11. "Guide" means a person who does any of the following:

a) Advertises for guiding services.

b Holds himself out to the public for hire as a guide.

c) Is employed by a commercial enterprise as a guide.

d) Accepts compensation in any form commensurate with the market value in this state for guiding services in exchange for aiding, assisting, directing, leading or instructing a person in the field to locate and take wildlife.

e) Is not a landowner or lessee who, without full fair market compensation, allows access to the landowner's or lessee's property and directs and advises a person in taking wildlife.

So, if you do any of those first four (a-d) you're a guide and need a license. I'd say trading for bonus points is in a grey area for a, b, and d. Problem is, the law doesn't define "guiding services," "for hire," or "commensurate with the market value" anywhere as far as I can tell.

I'd argue that helping your buddy hunt isn't a "guiding service," working for bonus point sharing isn't "for hire," and that bonus point sharing isn't "accepting compensation commensurate with the market value...for guiding services." You can probably see that AZGFD might see things differently.

But, like has been said above, you probably won't have to deal with it unless your bonus point buddy bags a toad and tells all his buddies what a good guide you were.

Great idea, but not a new one. I know several people who do this every year. Some very famous hunters also do this every year. I hope you find the right person and kill some monsters.

Adam

• Like 3

I am guessing it would have been better if the thread was started more like this ....

Looking For a New Hunting Buddy!!!

Someone who can kick back some Beers around a campfire

Someone who likes Archery hunting Elk in 3c, and unit 5 N&S

Someone who is cool riding around in my Ranger

Someone to Be my #2 on next years App

Someone who has at least 12 bonus points ;)

• Like 6

According to the latest talk with game and fish...market value was added a couple years back so a buddy could pay for gas, food etc...this is different than it had been for many years..

• Like 7

someone was doing this a couple years ago on monstermuleys. I think it was an outfitter and they had clients that were looking for new "application buddies" that had lots of points. I think they were looking to hunt the late rifle hunt in unit 1. in return for your points you would be guided for free.

I also remember seeing someone else on monstermuleys a few years ago pimping out his wifes UT muledeer points for like $20K.