Sign in to follow this  
D.F.M.

Deer meat

Looking for some deer meat . A friend of mine has a great dane that has allergies. Doctor says to feed him some venison and it will help treat it. Willing to pay for it. Know its a strange request and everybody works hard trying to get a deer but thought I would ask .Thanks.

For many reasons, including the fact that selling deer meat is illegal, I'd look into an actual dog food that uses venison as its protein source. It's more sustainable too.

Just a thought, but If folks do donate some meat to your friend, make sure the dog is getting its other essential nutrients as well.

Best of luck for your friend and getting his dog fixed up.

• Like 1

I have fed my allergy dog Sam (see This is for the Dogs thread) the sweet potato/venison from Natural Balance with good results. Also have used the bison from Natural Balance and the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. My dog itches like crazy if I give him regular (chicken, pork, beef, lamb) protein sources. Grains also set him off. Any of these would be worth a shot before you go for the full on hypoallergenic dog food that the Vet recommends for $120 a bag or raw venison unless you can find a lot of donations. Good Luck!

• Like 2

I have fed my allergy dog Sam (see This is for the Dogs thread) the sweet potato/venison from Natural Balance with good results. Also have used the bison from Natural Balance and the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. My dog itches like crazy if I give him regular (chicken, pork, beef, lamb) protein sources. Grains also set him off. Any of these would be worth a shot before you go for the full on hypoallergenic dog food that the Vet recommends for $120 a bag or raw venison unless you can find a lot of donations. Good Luck!

+1 few gr8 foods out there and vets always say give them venison as if you can buy at Safeway. I had a sharpei that had same skin allergy and was cured with vegetarian diet before days of all these awesome foods available. Good luck!

Am I the only one bothered by this post? I hate the idea of feeding that hard-earned venison to dogs. I understand a package might fall through the cracks every now and again, but come on. Why hunt if you're gonna feed it to dogs? Maybe it's just me since probably 80% of the meat i've eaten since i was born was wild game....

• Like 1

Am I the only one bothered by this post? I hate the idea of feeding that hard-earned venison to dogs. I understand a package might fall through the cracks every now and again, but come on. Why hunt if you're gonna feed it to dogs? Maybe it's just me since probably 80% of the meat i've eaten since i was born was wild game....

my dogs get around 20% of the meat off all the game I kill and all the bones. I still get all the normal cuts, the burger, and jerky meat. They eat the stuff most people leave or throw away. I know how to use it all!

I hear ya. I love my game meat and would Hate to have to give it up to the dogs.