Sign in to follow this  
jim

Good luck to all the youth hunters

Yes good luck to all! I'm stuck at work my 10 yr old nephew is on a bedded three point... Sure wish I was there!

2:45 came awfully early this morning, got my 10 yr old daughter up for her very 1st Jr deer. She was drawn for unit 33. We headed out the door at 3:30 and parked just after 4. Started up the mountain, holy smokes was the wind blowing hard. I was not happy with that with the only exception that it would keep the bugs at bay. Half way up my daughter says her feet hurt, I know how that goes but how do you tell a 10 yr old everything will be ok. I tell her lets just get to the top of this hill and sit and wait for the sun to come up. Well 20 min into it she says she is cold, the wind was just obnoxious and slightly cold even for me. Well after just seeing does I give her an ultimatum, lets keep going up and over where the sun is now or sit here and shiver. Bless her heart, even with sore feet she said lets go. We make it to the saddle and boy does the sun feel good but man it was even windier. I tell her that most deer will be out of this wind on the west side of the mountains. As we head south I start to glass and immediately find 4 doe, then 3 bucks. We drop down, I range them at 256. With the wind still blowing hard we can actually talk and get set up with them not hearing us. I extend the bipod and lay both packs on top of each other. She finds them in the binos and then transitions to the rifle scope. Bingo, she has them. The next 20 min go by with "daddy I'm nervous, is the gun going to be loud, will the gun kick hard" I told her to breath and relax, put the deer in between 2 and 3 crosshairs ( it was 254 yds at the time) you probably won't feel the kick and for it being loud here is some TP to put in your ears. Another 10 min go by and she is contemplating which deer with the occasional question "are they bigger than Jake's 1st deer", I said yes whenever you are ready just squeeze the trigger. All of a sudden a 3rd buck appears broadside, same distance, she says I want that one! I told her whenever you're ready I'll be your eyes. Boom, deer drops in his tracks and high fives and hugs for a wonderful 1st experience. We walk down and begin the fun and pictures that will last a lifetime. We drop it off at WGP for burgers and steaks.

I'm taking my boy tomorrow, ( same jr hunt) he wants a Mule deer though. So hopefully another story will follow.

post-2173-0-92646800-1444433275_thumb.jpeg

post-2173-0-32344800-1444433315_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Congratulations to your daughter on her first deer. Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

Well it's that time again to share another successful WT Jr. deer hunt with the oldest. Went out yesterday to try and tag a mule deer, unsuccessful but had a great one on one time with the boy. I told him lets go get a WT since the game camera had plenty coming and going. We headed out his afternoon at 3:00, got to our glassing point at 4:15, wind not in are favor so we went to a large shaded bowl. Instantly picked up a buck, we high tailed it around and got within 260 yds. I told him to just breathe and send the lead. He shot a tad high and the buck moved about 10' up. I told him reload and send some more, shot low and he took off. He looked at me and sorry dad, should have practiced some more. I felt bad because I new how he felt and been in his shoes year after year. I told him not to worry but let's look over this ridge and see if we kicked up anything else. As we peer over I notice another bedded buck, this one was 160 yds out. I told him this is your redemption buck. He got set up and squeezed off a round. The buck shot up and stumbled through some trees, I said lets go take a look. We got down and I found some hair and flesh, I turn around the direction he ran off and found some good blood. About 20 yds, the deer jumps up and bolts down hill. Jake rips off another round but misses. The blood trail was good so we followed him down, we bust him again and he keeps running down hill. He runs at least 300 more yds down hill. We finally catch up and about 100 yds out and Jake puts a final round in him. This was about 5:45, we tag him and start dragging him out due to the daylight running out. We get him half way up this nasty hill and it's dark, no where near the truck or any roads. We break out the flash lights and gut him and decide to cut off the head and shove him up under a rock overhand to come back tomorrow. Even with the flash lights Jake was getting nervous how dark it got and I didn't want to take a chance of getting hurt trying to get back safely. It took us 2 hrs to get back to the truck. This is his 3rd WT, and he is only 12. The grin says it all.

post-2173-0-80976000-1444625702_thumb.jpeg

I wouldnt even bother trying to save the meat tomorrow. It can't be saved. You could maybe pull that off in December but not where you are during this time of year. I'm just going to leave it at that.