Sign in to follow this  
mesajeeper

Reliable Water

Just a quick question for you seasoned pros. I have been searching out water to set up a couple of trail cameras. I have found a couple of spots that looked promising only to find the water is gone a few weeks later when I return to check for pics. I recently found a small pool of water that had a frog in the water. Would this be an indication that the water is more reliable or do they just burrow down when the water disappears? I look forward to your thoughts on this. Also, I am looking in low desert around the valley. Thanks

frogs probably wouldn't be a reliable way to determine how permanent the water source is. be careful of placing cams on know water sources though. you are on the right track, worst case scenario is you place a camera and pool dries up, find another spot to place it

Google earth is a great way to see what water has been around long-term. With the history feature, you can go back to several different years & see what showed up. Also, vegetation is a tell-tale sign. No lush vegetation means water has likely not been around long-term.

• Like 2

I have learned thru the years that one thing is for sure about tanks. If there is a lot of juniper around it it will dry up in a heartbeat. Junipers are like weeds and they suck the moisture up at a fast rate. If you find a tank that has some juniper but its far enough away from it, it will last longer. Ground conditions are also a big part of it. If the ground perks quick the water will go quick.

Thanks guys for the info. I am working small water seeps in the desert near the valley. I am purposely avoiding tanks, windmills, etc. as I don't want to get my cameras stolen. I have found some water in washes. Some spots I have found, the water is gone the next time I visit. Others appear to be more permanent water. I just struggle to tell up front how stable the source is and was looking for insight.

I have found a lot of springs in the foothills of the Bradshaw's. PM me if you are interested and I'll show you the way to some.

I have placed cameras on AZGFD Tanks for years a NB d have yet to lose one. If you're willing to do the work and get into the AZGFD Tanks in desert Wilderness Areas, chances are they won't be stolen.