Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Small bucks, Big memories.

Hi everyone, looks like some great hunts are happening this year.

Ours doesn't have any monster bucks but it was awesome for us.

It started a couple of years ago when my oldest (who was 11) wanted to hunt javelina after a neighbor mentioned the upcoming hunt. After a little convincing, his mom agreed he was old enough and he could start hunting. Now, I hadn't hunted in 20 plus years, back then it seemed like all you really had to do was hunt hard a couple of days and you would shoot something.

He passed his safety course and we bought some gear. After a couple tough days of hunting he was rewarded with a nice pig.

That was just the beginning. He was drawn for the youth late November hunt and of course we we were confident that he would get his first deer. Well, that didn't happen. He passed on a fork muley on opening day and ended up with a unused tag and some memories. The best part was watching 2 mountain lions snarl at each other 60 yards away.

Last year was more complicated. His younger brother turned 10 and wasn't going to miss out on deer hunting. This of course meant MORE GEAR, but the biggest problem was trying to take them both at once ( I was dumb enough to put them in for the same youth hunt). The week leading up to the hunt was filled with " who gets to shoot" questions.Turned out, Tyler ( younger one) was in position a few times, but couldn't connect. CJ (older) only had one chance and spooked his buck by trying to move around a bush for a better shot. Season ended with 2 unfilled tags. We had a few chances but mistakes were costing us.

This season I was feeling the pressure to get them on some deer. I put them in for different hunts on their first 3 or 4 choices so I could have one on one time. Wouldn't you know, they drew a fourth and fith choice on the same early white tail hunt. What are you going do ? ( Buy more gear of course, LOL).

I started reading up and asking more questions. (Thanks to everyone who shared info on this site) We scouted more, followed adviced and were more prepared for opening day. Friday came and we were up at 3 and on the road shortly after. Drove, hiked in by flashlight and got settled. By noon we had seen 4 does, 5 hunters and a mystery deer that was likely a buck. We decided to grab some lunch and try spot B in the afternoon. Spot B already had a jeep and some quads parked nearby, but since we were there we started hiking in. We split up along a ridge and started glassing different directions. After a while Tyler comes over and says they found 2 bucks across the canyon. His brother points out a canyon they slipped into, but we aren't able to glass them up again. Opening day ends and we drive out empty but happy to have seen bucks. We decide to come back to the same area for day 2.

3 am arrives to dang early and once again we drive, hike and settle in for the sunrise. Kids are tired and only glass for an hour and before falling asleep. We had been glassing across from us where they saw bucks yesterday, but nothing showed up. I spun around and started glassing some ocatillos, I saw what I thought to be a doe at 150 yards out.Trying to get a better look, I spotted another deer. This was a fork buck at the same distance. Not a monster but he was in range would make a nice first deer for one of the kids. Now as a dad, it's decision time on who to wake up. My youngest ( Tyler) had dibs but he was actually sleeping more in view of where the deer were. Afraid if I tried to wake him, he might sit up and give away our position I chose to wake his brother. I whispered that there was a fork close by and asked if he wanted to take the shot. After two empty seasons, he didn't hesitate and wanted him. Meanwhile his brother wakes up as well and I'm thinking "CRAP" we are going to spook this little guy. I tell Tyler the situation and he reminds me that it's his turn. We grab rifles and slowly crawl over to some rocks and set up behind them. CJ gets crosshairs on the fork and is asking to shoot, but I tell him to let his brother shoot first. While his brother is taking an eternity to set up, I spot 2 more small bucks 10-20 yards below the fork. I tell CJ to redirect his aim. Meanwhile, Tyler says he has a bead on the fork. CJ has found another buck and I whisper to CJ to shoot as soon as his brother does. Tyler shoots first and his fork drops like a rock. The other deer freeze and CJ shoots a few seconds later. He hits his a six inches behind the shoulder,it jumps hard, stumbles and takes off thru the brush. We know it's a good hit and we are stoked. Quick high fives, grab our gear and head over to find them. Tyler's was where it fell ( headshot, ugghh) and CJ's had a blood trail and was 20 yards away dead in the brush. We dragged them togetherand took a couple of quick pics. Now the real work begins, but it was so worth it.

When they drew the same hunt, I was disappointed. It turned out to be a memory that they will always share. First deer for both of them,same place, same time.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips that helped make it happen. Jim

• Like 11

Heck yeah! Congrats to your boys on getting it done! Big congrats to you on setting them up on a great double!!! That has to be tough to try to choose who shoots first!

Congratulations CJ and Tyler!!!!!!!!!! Those are awesome memories that you will have forever. Thanks for taking the time to share your story and pictures.

Great job boys. That is awesome. Great job CJ on holding your composure on shooting 2nd, the pressure was on and you did a great job. Congrats to you both Tyler and CJ

• Like 1

great job dad and the boys!

it can be a lot of pressure just to put 1 kid on a deer in range and get it done, you got em both on deer at the same time to boot!

Congrats!

James