Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

195 grain berger 7mm mag

If you have one of the big 7mm that looks like an awesome bullet! I shoot the 180's out of my Dakota and it is a great load. I don't think I would run those through my 7mm RM. I stick to the 168's in the RM which seem to be plenty adequate.

Im shooting 168s in my sendero and they are shooting great. Just wanted to try something different. Not to sure about the twist though.

195gr out of a 7mm mag sounds like a lot to me. I might try those out of a 7mm RUM. I shoot the 168s out of my 7mm mag (Tikka t3) at 2950 fps with great results. I shot my big bodied muley buck last week with this combination at 551 yards. The exit wound on the back side was massive, at least 5" in diameter. I'll post a picture to give you an example. As you can see, no need for a heavier bullet.

post-6408-0-36273400-1446563459.jpg

• Like 1

My brother just picked the 195's up today, gunna run them out of the STW's. As soon as we get to try them out we can let you know how they do. With the potential velocity out of the STW and that 195.. looks like it could be tough to beat for some long range tipping action.

No reason why they wouldn't rock in the 7RM.

Don't get stuck on MV, just impact velocity. That bullet is a game changer for sure....

The 7mm Mag just doesn't quite have the case capacity to truly maximize this bullets potential. Most factory rifles will not have the twist to use it either. In a standard 7mm mag the 180s can be pushed to a velocity that allow them to shoot inside of the 195s at long range. The 195s will pack a bit more energy at the target but really if you can't get it done with the 180 an extra 15 grains isn't really going to help you. The 195 is best suited for the really large magnums with fast twist barrels and will require at least an 8 twist to get all of the BC the bullet is capable of. There is lots of info on this bullet and the cartridges people are using it in over on longrangehunting.com There are guys over there that ordered barrels when the bullet was first announced a couple years ago.

• Like 3

Dialing a bit more isn't going to hurt you either.

Where does it end? Isn't every bullet's maximum potential reached with the highest MV possible? So this means that every cartridge isn't maximizing a bullet's potential....

A 195 at 2750 or so is an utter slammer waaaay out there.

I'm not talking about dialing I am talking about wind drift. A 180 at 2900 is just as much of a slammer and will provide just as good if not better wind drift than the 195 when used in a standard 7mm Rem Mag. This is why you see most shooters save the big heavy bullets in .30cals for the Win mags and Ultra mags and leave the 168-175's for the .308. Just not enough horse power to really make them shine in a .308 sized case.

• Like 1

I think the 195 HVLD in a 7RUM/7 Dakota/7LRM/7STW/7 Lazzeroni/28 Nosler would be great with a 1 in 8", 27"+ barrel. A 1 mile deer rifle, or 1300+ yard elk hammer.

For cases with less capacity, like the 7RM/7WSM/7RSAUM/maybe even a .280 AI, I would rather shoot a 168 or 180 HVLD at a little higher velocity myself. Anything smaller case wise (7-08/7x57/etc.), I would go 150-168gr. max.

Sure, a .308 WIN can shoot a 180-210 HVLD, but at 2500fps or less, they lack the horsepower to be considered in the long range game. Can thy? Yes. Are there better rounds more suited for the heavies? Absolutely.

Just remember, shot placement trumps everything else. So with a little less case capacity, lighter bullets, and lighter recoil, if you can hit your animal easier, shoot the lighter cartridge. A 168-180 HVLD starting out at 2850-2900 will kill anything you put the bullet into the vitals with at reasonable distances. You just extend the range if you can handle the additional recoil or weight of the rifle.

But the 7mm 195s are like the 230gr .308s. All the cool guys are sending them out at triple the speed of sound, so they must be magic. If you can afford that magic, go for it!!!

• Like 2

Lance gets it.

The 195 is a ballistic masterpiece, but it comes with some downsides. The first and biggest one being a custom barrel with a fast twist to properly stabilize them. The 2nd one is moving to a bigger cartridge to be able to push them to a decent velocity and with that comes big time magazine constraints with that really long bullet or the added cost of an extended mag. Although, great I don't think it would persuade me to switch from the already impressive and proven 180's especially in a standard 7 mag.

My new build is off the 7RM using the Berger 195 from a 28" barrel at 1:8 twist, no break. But this work wont happen until next March when everything comes in. For those going 28 Nosler, what barrel length and any break?