Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

27 Late Rifle crowds

Long time listener, first time caller... This is my first year hunting az, I drew the 27 late rifle bull tag. I've heard some horror stories on how crowded it gets, anybody have any insight on what to expect as far as crowds go? I've done a good amount of scouting and know where I want to focus my time, I just don't want to see 399 other hunters in that canyon opening morning. The areas I plan on hunting have very little road access, and i'll be getting in there at least a few miles on foot to glass. I'm hoping most of the people are road hunters. I know the country fairly well and where I expect to find elk, I just don't know what to expect once you throw in the chaos of 400 hunters. Anybody have experience here? many thanks in advance.

Unless you are waaay in, where you see the elk now will not be where they are when the shooting starts

• Like 1

I only have a couple of unit 27 hunting trips under my belt but am happy to share what little I know. It is a rough remote unit with some pretty nasty canyons. This is a big plus for you if get a few miles in as you suggests. 90% of the other hunters probably won't be willing to do that.

My wife and oldest son had this tag last year. Lots of road hunters. My son took a nice first bull in an open meadow just before dark in an area that had about 15 bulls already taken. If the bulls get run off I've seen they do sometimes come back to the same spot, or they will be run into that area from somewhere else. I was up there this weekend scouting with my father-in-law in our spot from last year. Lots of the same bulls. Good luck. Gonna be cold

I helped my brother tag out on a nice bull on this hunt last year. We didn't see too many road hunters, at least not any more than I've experienced in other units.

A few miles in on foot will feel like an eternity packing out. I have only hunted it for gobblers but good luck. I would offer to help out but a family emergency has me headed out of town for the holiday. Dam cancer.

Thanks for the input guys. My last late elk hunt was in Wyo a few years back. I believe it got to -13 one day, plus that wind. Killed one about a mile and half from the road in about 18 inches of crusted snow. that pack out sucked. I imagine this will be much worse if i'm lucky. that's half the fun right?

Great way to look at it. I don't know if you will have to deal with 18" of crusted snow. Might look for someone with horses that you could call to help pack out for a fee. I am not too familiar with the unit but do have a buddy that has hunted it a few times and really likes it.

Azbowhunter shoot me a pm I will be up there for the whole hunt helping a friend who already had enough people helping him I would be more then happy to help you pack a bull out

• Like 6

Azbowhunter shoot me a pm I will be up there for the whole hunt helping a friend who already had enough people helping him I would be more then happy to help you pack a bull out

Good man^^^^^^^

Weather may play a factor this year as we are getting a decent amount of snow right now. If another decent storm rolls in there could be significant snow to consider.....

• Like 1

It's elk season. You have one of the best elk tags in the world. Go huntin'. If you're in 27 and it's crowded, you're too close to the road. Lotsa places you can go with lotsa Bulls and no hunters. Lark

Was up in 27 this weekend doing some scouting. The weather was terrible, rained or snowed the entire past couple of days with low visibility. It sure is pretty up there with all the fresh snow thought. There is a lot of down timber on some of the smaller less traveled roads. Be prepared for blocked roads or take a chain saw. Hoping this snow doesn't move the bulls out of the area we have found them in.

well fellers I made a trip this weekend... put on several miles on the boots, most of them off the rim. Saw a group of cows w/ a raghorn was all for elk. Did turn up some nice rams and 4 bears so it was still a good weekend. There's got to be elk in there, just couldn't find them. Maybe they're still hanging top... Oh well we'll find em. They are where they're at.

• Like 2