northAZarcher

Rifle hunt during Dec archery hunt

Any of you have any issues archery hunting while the Dec rifle hunt is going on. Such as people taking shots when you are putting a stalk on a buck? Do you wear some orange to help stand out during stalks?

Live life on the edge....don't wear orange. I'd be concerned about someone taking a "long range" shot while I'm stocking, but then again I don't archery hunt.

I've hunted archery & rifle during both seasons. Never had a problem. In fact I usually try to help the rifle guys out if I see a Buck that I think they would like. If you work togeather it can benefit both hunters.

• Like 6

never had a problem...

James

They let You do it here in Dakota. My buddy is helping Me but they must where orange same as rifle hunters..................BOB!

I was just thinking of wearing an orange camo beanie. Just worried about someone using their rifle/scope to glass while I'm stalking.

I figured with only 50 rifle tags, we'd have a good chance of not even seeing a rifle hunter.

I have had only one occasion where a rifle hunter took a shot at a buck I was stalking. I don't think either of us knew the other was there though. It Almost worked in my favor as the buck spooked from the shot and ran right past me.

Hunt mule deer and you won't have that problem

• Like 2

I have had only one occasion where a rifle hunter took a shot at a buck I was stalking. I don't think either of us knew the other was there though. It Almost worked in my favor as the buck spooked from the shot and ran right past me.

This is what I'm worried about. There will be two of us. One glassing and the other stalking. Do you think a small amount of orange might have helped make you more visible or was it really thick country?

I've been approached during a dec rifle hunt by archers whom tried to tell me I was hunting illegal and wanted me to leave the area even though I was just sitting glassing and they were the ones whom showed up after me - they didn't know there were rifle tags during an archery hunt -till I showed them my tag and told them that this was my rifle hunting area , that also had an archery season

I told them to please go ahead if you want - I could use couple bird dogs to flush out the big bucks - if he runs please know I will most likely shoot, so you might want to get down as low as you can get

I guess they learned a few things that day and decided to leave the area where lead might be flying.

I've hunting almost every dec archery season even if I didn't have a rifle tag - never bothered me and have been nice enough to try to direct archers onto deer if they were non - shooters during some of my rifle hunts

in my younger days I'd pack both rifle and bow - long before hunters starting carring all the extra weight like -- range finders and tripods and spotting scopes - 2 pairs of binos etc.

hunter orange isn't included in my camo

If I were hunting closer to civilization, I would wear orange camo and floresent surveyors tape in the horses tail and manes. Trust me, the deer have no idea you are wearing bright colors.

Packing a buddy almost 10 miles into a Wilderness area so not too concerned, probably won't see another hunter.

Yesterday MulePackHunter pointed out to me that archery will be open as well so knowing this I will be a lot more picky on my Nov rifle hunt.

Had a guy shoot a buck that I was stalking a few years ago. The guy did not know I was there. The buck was only 50 yards up hill from me when he was shot. Watched the hide ripple from the bullet as I pissed myself a little! I walked up to the buck with the shooter. He was apologetic. Like a dummy I would do it again.