WampusCat

KS Archery Success

Long story short... Work has made sure to keep me out of Coues country for the last two seasons and one more. This is really killing me but also allowing me to review my gear and make some upgrades to what I feel are my weakest links. I was very fortunate to be able to take some leave back home between assignments that coincided with Kansas archery season in mid October. It wasn't gonna be rut and maybe/hopefully just the beginning of the pre-rut, but I wasn't gonna miss the opportunity to hit the woods in the area I grew up in.

post-11266-0-23717900-1447690260_thumb.jpg

It's always hard to be successful when I go home and hit the woods looking for a mature deer with zero scouting, no stands hung, and a very limited timeline. Sometimes I end up frustrated and spending too much time in the woods when I should be with friends and family. This year was no different. It was a whirl of checking cams daily and adjusting my plan of attack while fighting the winds and warm temps to avoid pressuring the areas too much. Seven days later all the hard work and ground covered paid off when an old bruiser came in to the tickling of some rattling horns! He was an absolute tank with a 2"+ layer of fat over his hindquarters. Thanks to those close to me for understanding my addiction.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest.

post-11266-0-43153500-1447690281_thumb.jpgpost-11266-0-84239200-1447690306_thumb.jpg

post-11266-0-53724700-1447690344_thumb.jpgpost-11266-0-96046100-1447691161_thumb.jpg

Couldn't be happier!

post-11266-0-72314100-1447690419_thumb.jpg

post-11266-0-81721200-1447690431_thumb.jpg

100 gr RamCat through the pump station

post-11266-0-42614900-1447690433_thumb.jpg

Pretty unique with twin 9" daggers growing out the G2 bases. Icing on the cake!

post-11266-0-01391600-1447690456_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

That thing is a monster! Great buck! Great shot! Great Pics! That is awesome man, congratulations! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

Wow! What a beast! Congrats on an awesome trophy!

I just took my first 'eastern' whitetail in Nebraska a couple weeks ago. Im hooked! Great hunting in the midwest, just wish it wasnt so far....

• Like 1

Thanks fellas

mattys281, I just read your Nebraska post. Good luck on your Dec hunt if you get back up there.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas

mattys281, I just read your Nebraska post. Good luck on your Dec hunt if you get back up there.

Already bought the ticket and am ups'ing my bow out next week.... and some heavy weight undies. ;)

Seeing this post is gonna make this work week even longer! Come on friday, will be headed to northern oklahoma for a weeks worth of hunting myself. Nice buck by the way!

That heart pic is awesome

Thanks all, I'm still on cloud nine. The emotions on a hunt like that can be some real highs and lows. Seeing a monster cruise a field edge 100yds across a bean field knowing you cant do anything but sit in your stand real rips at a guy. I'd walk miles of nasty country to get a chance at a buck like this one but sitting a stand seams so much harder.

If you pressure a mature buck with hard horns but before the rut you can almost guarantee he is not going to stick around.

I grew up hunting that way and I love it but it has been replaced by spot and stalk western hunting at the top of my list.