Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Rare Encounter

Headed to Alpine for Thanksgiving break, rolling along when all the sudden we see two small rams at the fence line. So I try to find a place to pull off the road when all the sudden the rest of the herd shows up and they all proceed to jump the fence headed right towards us on the paved highway.

Mean time Cole is scrambling for something to take pictures with and all the sudden I remember my cheap Wal Mart camera can take video so we get it running.....got this much video before my SD card was full.

We spent about an hour watching them, they got out on the paved highway and ran about half a mile then jumped the other fence. It was funny watching cars weaving in and out of them.

Pretty fun to watch these guys......

https://youtu.be/N70gcWZlgls

• Like 5

That's awesome. It would be hard to drive by and not want to pull over and watch!

These guys cross the same spot all the time there. In the winter they lick the salt in the road..

• Like 2

These guys cross the same spot all the time there. In the winter they lick the salt in the road..

We had a DPS officer stop and watch with us.....and he said the same thing. I have traveled that road many times and this was a first for us there and like Blaze said....odd to see them in that terrain right there.

Pretty fun

• Like 1

Very cool! Are they Rocky Mnt BH sheep? Must be in the rut, eh?

looks like rutting to me or that big one is studying to be an OBGYN.

• Like 1

Dang tourist! Shut your blinker off and keep driving! Workin folks don't need the distraction while drivin down the the road!! Haha! People will cause accidents near the horseshoe curve going to morenci just for a picture!! Even seeing hundreds upon hundreds of them I still slow down. Neat creatures for sure.

Very cool! Are they Rocky Mnt BH sheep? Must be in the rut, eh?

Same question. Are those Rockies, or lost Desert Sheep?

That ram looked like he had one thing on his mind. He was not letting her get too far away. And making sure those smaller rams where nowhere around her.

Lark's right once again. They're the Rocky Mountain bighorns they moved from Morenci a couple of years ago. Fourteen or fifteen of them hung out most of the summer between Greer Junction and Eagar last summer, another group spent it along Hall Creek down to South Fork. There was an sign posted on the highway for a while warning drivers to avoid them. Like curly horned cliff carp everywhere, they're beautiful but not too bright. I rank their collective IQ just above a javelina's.

Bill Quimby

Here is a pic I took last Friday of some Rockys in Greer. They were chilling right off the road, pretty cool seeing them in person. Have lots of trail cam pics of them. Looks like just one ram and a few ewes.

post-2686-0-52392900-1448952045_thumb.jpeg