Sign in to follow this  
208muley

Sausage makers in phx?

So my favorite sausage maker (Denmark) stopped making sausage from game meat. Business change not anti hunting. So I am in search of a new one. I like summer, pepper sticks, chorizo. Is there anyplace that I can try before I drop off 50-60 lbs and end up with crap.... Who all do you guys use??

Thx in advance

+1 Von Hanses

Man as much as you'd spend on getting sausage made a couple times you could buy the stuff and do it yourself. Hard to beat homemade smoked stuff with all the good recipes and kits out there nowadays. Fun to make too.

• Like 2

Hansons is pricey but top quality.

You can buy a good grinder for less than $150 and make it yourself pretty easily. I've had good results on Summer sausage from the kits you buy at Sportsmans. For fresh sausage like brats and Italian it's even easier. Just get some casings and look up one of the thousands of recipes online

My favorite is chorizo. Easy to make and tastes like VICTORY.

• Like 3

Jan 1st. Was gonna take a couple piggies and some yr old stuff down there like I do every year and they said no mas starting jan 1st. My buddy just got his Coues back as well. I'm sure they will finish all orders they have as they are a stand up business. Just sucks cause they made the best...... Everything!

Funny thing is a couple of you guys are recommending Von Hansens and that is one of the places Denmark recommended as well.

May think about making it myself but that will have to wait till next year. Are there recipes for pepper sticks ( slim Jim's)? My kids love those things from Denmark and will go thru a bag of them faster than a fat kid and a bag of cookies! Lol

Just had a really bad experience with Von Hansens. Took me 3 days of calling to try to track down all the meat (only received burger back the first trip) and feel like my chops came up way on the short side when they finally found the missing bag that was "sitting on the shelf".

Sanchez wild game processing in Phoenix

Hansons is pricey but top quality.

You can buy a good grinder for less than $150 and make it yourself pretty easily. I've had good results on Summer sausage from the kits you buy at Sportsmans. For fresh sausage like brats and Italian it's even easier. Just get some casings and look up one of the thousands of recipes online

My favorite us chorizo. Easy to make and tastes like VICTORY.

share your recipes in the cooking section? optimistic about javelina.

Miller's southwest is good too, a bit of a stretch for you though. My buddy took his first ever javelina there. They made chorizo and breakfast sausage... But this year, if were lucky, we were gonna try to do it ourselves

Wow, that not good, as dropped off my javelina a few weeks back at Denmark. How did you find out?

Called the other day to check when they were open and lead time to finish about 50-60 # of game meat. That's when they said they weren't doing game anymore.

Definitely do it yourself. WAY better product, more of it, you know it is only yours and how well you field cared the animal. Been doing all my own for years now and cannot ever imagine paying someone again. Final product was not the same ever. Well worth the minor investment that pays itself off after the first or second animal you process yourself. And the pride of doing it yourself may be the best part!

• Like 1