Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Shoot to 100yrd?

I have an entry level bow. Pse stinger 3G. Drop away rest and five pin sight is my upgrade. Oh and a winner choice string when it was time to replace

So it's rated to shoot 308 FPS and I'm at 70lbs and 30 in. So let's say I get actually 285 FPS. I can shoot confidently to 60 yards. Well actually 50 I'm accurate and consistent 60 I can do but it does widen out

A buddy and I stacked our targets on top of each other and shot to 70. Both of us aimed at top target and both hit the very bottom if not the dirt on bottom target. A huge drop. He has a bear anarchy

I've heard quite a few guys say they can put it in a pie plate to 100. And I have no reason to not believe it. I'm sure it can be done and done ethically. I don't shoot my rifle to 1000 because I'm not set up for it but I know people do it well

So my question is do I drop that much at 70 because I have a slower entry level bow? And if is that a person needs a 350FPS rocket bow then how do you have room in your sight for the pins to 100. I know they have 7 pin sights but the separation between 70 and 80 and 90 etc has to be significant enought that there isn't room in the sight to have those pins. Even if you use one pin foe 20 to 40 and the rest up to 100. IT still has have lots of room between pins

I've stalked a buck to 100 twice and I personally couldn't imagine taking that shot but I'd like to learn how it's done. To be clear. I'm not saying those shots can't or shouldn't be done. Not calling people out. Just want to know if it's equipment and what kind of speed do you need to reach out that far

I'm not selling my old pse stinger until I kill something with it,So until then I'll just keep working on getting better with my own hunting skills

If your bow is rated at 305 fps your actual speed is probably 250-265fps. My bow is rated 345fps and 70lbs. My draw weight is at 72 and 29.5 draw only getting about 300. Anyway to the point I use a black gold ascent slider site it is 5 pin. My fifth pin is a floater pin I can dial out to 100. Some people also stack their pins. It's a way of figuring out hold overs with you pins. Because mathematically all the pins should be the same distance apart.

• Like 1

Bow, tuning, sight, practice, practice, practice.

A 6 inch group at 120 is very doable with some money, time and dedication.

• Like 1

I saw that video with cam hanes shooting to 140, he had to sight off of the top of his sight bubble level. If you slid most sights down to 140 your arrow will hit it. Cam was also shooting 90 lbs draw.

If your bow is rated at 305 fps your actual speed is probably 250-265fps. My bow is rated 345fps and 70lbs. My draw weight is at 72 and 29.5 draw only getting about 300. Anyway to the point I use a black gold ascent slider site it is 5 pin. My fifth pin is a floater pin I can dial out to 100. Some people also stack their pins. It's a way of figuring out hold overs with you pins. Because mathematically all the pins should be the same distance apart.

You must be shooting like a 500 gn arrow.

A properly tuned and matched bow and arrows and a sight setup that can elevate high enough and lots of practice, practice more practice. even a 40lb bow will send an arrow over 100 yards.

if used for practice getting good at 100 will make closer shots so much easier. you will learn to perfect your release, your aim, your control.

When I shot my compound 100-120 yard shots were alot of my practice. then part of the rest was odd shooting positions, kneeling, sitting, laying back, hunched and shooting under brush. and the rest was closer shots to work on long holding patience shots like I was waiting for the critter to clear the branches.

practice a lot and practice all kinds or positions, near and far.

• Like 1

A slider/adjustable sight is a must- When I'm sighting my bow in at 100 I can tell if I'm off by 1 yard on my sight. At 20 yards I usually can hardly tell if I'm 2 yards off, there is a huge difference. I don't believe you can accurately shoot past 80 with fixed pins. The sight needs to be adjusted to the exact yard. I'm sure someone with fixed pins will argue that, but that's what I believe.

Heavy arrows- Most would believe you need light arrows and a lot of speed, not true. I shoot a 480 grain arrow at 270 FPS and can almost always get my sight out to 120 yards or more. The heavy arrows carry better, have more energy, and drift less in the wind. I changed from 425 grain arrows moving at 295 fps recently. The difference on my sight tape was only 3 yards at 90. Think of it like a rifle bullet. At 1000 yards with a 7MM Mag do you want a 120 grain or a 180 grain bullet?

• Like 1

You must be shooting like a 500 gn arrow.

Lol yea pretty heavy arrow. Like 480gr

If your bow is rated at 305 fps your actual speed is probably 250-265fps. My bow is rated 345fps and ok70lbs. My draw weight is at 72 and 29.5 draw only getting about 300. Anyway to the point I use a black gold ascent slider site it is 5 pin. My fifth pin is a floater pin I can dial out to 100. Some people also stack their pins. It's a way of figuring out hold overs with you pins. Because mathematically all the pins should be the same distance apart.

This is actually incorrect. As the arrow travels further from the bow its horizontal velocity is dropping while its vertical velocity is increasing. Depending on your arrow weight and initial velocity the variance in pin difference might not be noticeable but the longer pins are gapped further apart. I shoot 380 grain arrows in the 270ish range and the gap between my 50 and 60 pin is noticeably bigger than between my 40 & 50. The gap between 20-30 and 30-40 does look about the same, as these ranges are on either side of the arrows apex of trajectory. The longer pins are all on the down hill side of the trajectory though, so the spacing becomes exponentially larger the further out you go. I couldn't fit a 100 pin in my sight if I wanted to, theres not enough travel.

• Like 3

I must suck compared to a lot of guys. I try to get under 50 yards for sure. Would never shoot any more than that at a live animal, but that's just me. Being close to the critters is half the fun.

• Like 2

Im just getting old and blind. Cant see the target that well past 60 yards any more, so thats my limit.

It's not really about shooting at animals from that far just practicing out that far. I rarely even shoot closer than 80 with my hunting bow but of the dozen big game animals I've killed the farthest one was 54. 60 yards really feels close when you have been launching arrows at 130 for months. Also, the form and bow tune it takes to shoot broadheads out that far will make you a much better archer.

• Like 1

I hope the 100yrd archery guys are keeping it on the archery range and not in the field. I keep reading about animals being killed out to these long distances but I would think most animals are wounded and not recovered at this distance. IMHO! :)

TJ

• Like 2