Analogkid1014

Brown trout

Just curious How many of you guys keep the Browns when you catch them. Personally I always release them to be caught another day. If i want to eat fish I will keep a few rainbows since they are prevalent. Being that they are not stocked often by AZGFD and that the WMAT does limited stocking of Browns I prefer release them

• Like 3

Browns will always dominate as they are more aggressive and territorial. I keep them

• Like 1

I like to fish for them up in Idaho on the Snake where they encourage you to keep them due to their aggressive nature. The native cutthroat and even the rainbow population up there has been negatively impacted by the browns.

• Like 2

I do about 50/50 keep and release when it comes to Browns... My preference for the grill is Brooks, Browns , then the rest... I do not think I will be keeping Tiger trout

• Like 1

i have a pretty strict policy of keeping nonnatives and not releasing them back, rainbow or browns, unless I'm at my limit or special regs require it. Browns are aggressive and damaging to all kinds of native aquatic species. 10-12" browns are good to eat, to me, and I'd rather eat them than rainbows. They are so fun to catch on a fly rod that its tempting to release them for another adventure, though.

Yotebuster browns up to about 15 inches are awesome for grilling , anything bigger you may be happier smoking the meat ... And if they are over 24 inches they look great on the wall ;) .... Personally I do not keep any Rainbow or Cutthroat that I can not tell by size and color is a Hold over and wintered a couple times .. not a fan of the bland soggy white meat of hatchery fed trout that were stocked during the season.

• Like 1

Yotebuster browns up to about 15 inches are awesome for grilling , anything bigger you may be happier smoking the meat ... And if they are over 24 inches they look great on the wall ;) .... Personally I do not keep any Rainbow or Cutthroat that I can not tell by size and color is a Hold over and wintered a couple times .. not a fan of the bland soggy white meat of hatchery fed trout that were stocked during the season.

Good to know. We caught a 22"er on the snake last fall moose hunting and ate it for camp meat and it wasn't very good. I'm guessing it was just to big. I'll give a small one a try next time I get a chance!

Hatchery trout are terrible!

I will NEVER keep a Brown Trout in Az. They are too precious of recourse due to G&F not stocking them. Instead they have killed 100,000's of Browns due to the fact that they are non native. Now they have decided to put a non native trout into some of our lakes, the Tiger trout. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of having Tiger trout. I just don't like the fact that G&F have killed so many browns because they are non native and now they are introducing a non native fish. It bugs the crap out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What G&F has done to Brown trout in Az is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6

The tiger trout are sterile so they don't have to worry about them overtaking the native population. I used to catch them ice fishing when I lived back east. They were pretty good eating.

I am 99% catch and release. Sometimes I will keep a couple, if they are wild born, or holdover fish. I don't care for eating stockers very much. When it comes to conservation, I will keep fish, if it helps the fisheries.I spent almost 2 years in the Yellowstone area of Montana, as well as the Madison River Valley. I caught hundreds of fish over the course of 2 fishing seasons, and I think I only kept about 8 of them.

• Like 1

Is the Rez. still stocking Browns in Hawley lake and Rezervation lake?............BOB!