Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

New hunting Truck

I was tired of taking out my SUV that couldn't get the job done while elk hunting, so I finally got a proper truck to work: '04 F350 6.0 diesel with the off-road package.

Question is now: did I just guarantee myself a tag for this year's draw or did I guarantee tag soup? Success or soup?

post-13295-0-69399800-1457361318_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You just guaranteed yourself a headache with a 6.0. Worst diesel ever made. Hope it has been bulletproofed. Other than that its a sweet ride.

• Like 9

The 6.oh no. I've got one just like it. Just do some research and take care of what needs to be taken care of asap. Egr delete is usually one of the first things. It might already be done. These motors have a bad reputation. Either you'll love it or you'll hate it. I love mine. I know more people that hate them than love them though. Good luck with it. I doubt it will help you in the draw by the way.

I hope it is bulletproofed. If not look into doing it. Otherwise there is a pretty decent possibility of you needing $6K+ of motor work in the future.

Did the truck ever have a tuner on it? If so that just ups the odds of issues. They are dang nice trucks though. Once the motor has been fixed they are actually good motors.

i just sold a 270k mile 6.0 not long ago that was bone stock. theyre not all garbage. in fact about every single one ive ever seen with over 130k never has problems

now the ride on a 1 ton ford, thats a different story all together. that will give you a headache bouncing your head off the roof

I have an 04. If you start losing coolant out the exhaust, big trouble. Get rid of the egr cooler. High pressure oil pumps go too.

I have 283,000 miles on mine and the ride is great.

Nice ride. Hopefully you guaranteed yourself a tag...still waiting on my elk tag since upgrading my truck. I bought it for towing though and have done a lot of that since. :D

EGR work was done. It's got 190k miles, but didn't hear about the 'bulletproof' work. Anyone have a link to that so I can see and confirm?

Thx guys.

Like said above, I hope you have an atv/utv! I drove one for a week at work and my dental fillings about rattled out!

• Like 3

Stock fuel injection control modules should be replaced too.

nevermind- I just found the link.

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=148

Stop in a see Andrew over there. He should be able to tell you if it was done. They have done some work on my 7.3 and they are top notch when it comes to quality of the work and honesty. You may just have to schedule out a few weeks but it is worth the wait and they have a super clean shop.

I have a 2004 F250.

Love it! Yeah, it needs to be bulletproof. Here's a quick list of things that should be done.

First- get rid of the green crap coolant that Ford put in there. Change to a ELC Red instead. (Rotella) (Flush it out- don't just drain it)

Nothing but Ford filters in the entire truck. Dont use aftermarket.

Get a scangauge- check the delta between oil and coolant. Shouldn't be more than 15 degrees.

And last but not least, the headgaskets. It's quite a job- they replace the Ford Bolts with ARP Studs. You can tell what kind of bolts are currently in there now just by looking.

And.. I just saw the link above. Nice. Also, if you hit up thedieselstop.com , everything you need to know is there.

I have a 2004 F250.

Love it! Yeah, it needs to be bulletproof. Here's a quick list of things that should be done.

First- get rid of the green crap coolant that Ford put in there. Change to a ELC Red instead. (Rotella) (Flush it out- don't just drain it)

Nothing but Ford filters in the entire truck. Dont use aftermarket.

Get a scangauge- check the delta between oil and coolant. Shouldn't be more than 15 degrees.

And last but not least, the headgaskets. It's quite a job- they replace the Ford Bolts with ARP Studs. You can tell what kind of bolts are currently in there now just by looking.

And.. I just saw the link above. Nice. Also, if you hit up thedieselstop.com , everything you need to know is there.

Brilliant. I'll set it up.

Thx

At least You were smart enough to buy a Ford. The rest of it won't fall apart..............BOB!

• Like 5