PRDATR

Anyone have a defibrillator?

Long story my 26 year old son needs one after suffering a heart attack last week while at the gym. As I found out today there are two types.

One has leads/probes while the other type does not. Those who have one will know what I am talking about. He has been in ICU for a week and we have a day or two to decide and I am researching the heck out of them so ANY feedback from the CWT Family is more than appreciated.

My Mother-in-law had one, a pacemaker and defibrillator, implanted late last year. Hers is the type with leads in the heart. She had about 20% of her heart functioning correctly prior to surgery. The doctors can actually monitor her heart remotely, and can tell when the pacemaker has to kick in, and if the defibrillator would go off. I believe they said battery life was about 10 years? I can't recall exactly.

Currently, she is doing very well. Pretty active for a 68(?) year old woman. They are actually a very routine surgery nowadays. I am really sorry to hear about our son, but the miracles of medicine are amazing. He should still be able to live a long and active life.

Prayers going out for your family, you, the doctors, and friends for healing, wisdom, and comfort.

• Like 1

Yup pm not working. All I can offer is my families prayers. Sorry about your son. That's way to young for news like that.

• Like 4

Tried to send a pm?

It says ARRAY and won't send

480-220-6501

I'll check to see if my in box is full

I've taken care of lots of patients with pacemakers/defibrillators the last 20 years working as a RN in a CardioVascular ICU. Lancetkenyon is correct, pacer/defibrillator placement is pretty common and complications are rare. They work. I'm only familiar with the lead type for implanted units. Praying for you and your family.

Theyover him from ICU to another floor and the PT woman got him behind a walker and marched him around the ward for exercise. His heart rate jumped to 212 and now he is rushed back to ICU and they just shocked him again. 6th time in 7 days. Not looking good

Prayers to you and your son. Wish the best!

Ask them to try Adenosine if they haven't already. We use it in the field to convert patients from extreme tachycardia. Hope he gets better soon! Best of luck to you and yours

Thoughts and prayers for your son's recovery.

TJ

I can't answer your question but I can and will say prayers for your son and family!

• Like 1