Sign in to follow this  
Kop

Arizona or New Mexico for elk and mule deer

New to this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from the members regarding the elk hunting possibilities and the pros and cons between resident elk hunting between Arizona and New Mexico. My wife wants to relocate to a warmer area. We are from the midwest. I have taken elk in montana and colorado. Never hunted new mexico or arizona. I am a preferred archery hunter. Just would like some insight on how hunter friendly each state is and if it is more then likely possible to hunt elk in the state you live in. I am not after trophy bulls. But would like a chance to get an opportunity at a 250"-300" every year. I know i can do that in colorado or montana but my wife will not move there Too much snow! Lol I have the time to spend year round scouting. So i am looking towards public land hunts without tresspass fees. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Arizona is the best state in the d--- US.

You wont find better hunting opportunities for quality animals in any other state. Although the elk is a lottery process, with the amount of scouting time you can put in, you can easily meet your elk goal and not have to wait to long to do it. The over the counter tags for archery deer produce some high quality trophys for both coues and mulie all across the state. I see you didn't mention COUES in your title....you're forgiven.

Do yourself a favor a choose AZ. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

I have been putting in for archery elk in the state of AZ as a resident for 21 years and have drawn 2 tags.

I have drawn 3 archery bull tags as a non-resident in NM in 10 years. Quality of bulls being close to the same.

A friend of mine who lives in NM has archery hunted bulls 9 times in NM in the same time I drew 2 tags in AZ. Every bull except one was well over 300".

If this is your only criteria, I'd move to NM.

• Like 1

^ what he says. NM has so much elk habitat that they just have more elk to hunt. I would disagree that the quality is as good as AZ as the top end Bulls in AZ will always beat out NM but for sheer numbers of nice Bulls (300+) you can't beat NM. As a resident you stand to draw a decent tag fairly often in NM. They have a lot of tough hunts that you'll never draw as well, but they do have some good hunts you can get with good odds. You can always run up to Colorado to scratch the itch with small Bulls hetween draws for either state. It's hard to beat OTC January archery deer in AZ. Weather is awesome and there are some good bucks to be found! You're in a good position to be in!

• Like 1

I think a guy would have a lot more opportunity in new mexico but better quality in AZ. If you want a legit chance of killing a decent bull every year, Arizona is probably not the place. There are some OTC tags and late archery bull tags that are easy to draw but they are extremely difficult hunts

• Like 1

My Dad and brother hunt either deer or elk every year in NM while it took me 8 years to draw a bull tag here. The one thing AZ has which would benefit you as a bow hunter is OTC archery deer tags. The fact you can go out for nearly 3 months out of the year to chase deer is awesome.

Seams like a big decision to make based on just hunting. Does she want to move to a warmer area or the inferno of southern AZ?

First off welcome to the site. You will find a lot of helpful information here. A few things you pointed out where your wife would like to relocate to a warmer place, you are not a trophy hunter, you want an opportunity at a 250"-300" bull every year, you have the time for year round scouting, you prefer archery, and you want plenty of public land to hunt. BINGO! I'm not familiar with NM but I can tell you first hand Arizona has everything you are looking for. I believe we have the most public hunting land anywhere and your chances of drawing an archery elk tag every year is almost a sure thing. Good luck in your decision making. :)

TJ

• Like 1

As a lifelong AZ resident this is a no-brainer! I love AZ but the choice is simple really. NM all the way. There is no unit in AZ where you can hunt bulls in prime time every year. More like every 8+ years. It comes down to math. There are twice as many elk in NM than AZ and 1/3 the population of people. The odds reflect this and you will hunt elk in NM many more times than you ever will in AZ. Throw in the free ranging exotics and NM is one of the best states in the west as far as hunting is concerned. You can always cross the border and take advantage of AZ's OTC archery deer hunts for about $500. Personally I would move to AZ for 6 months, get your lifetime license, and then move to NM!

• Like 2

As a lifelong AZ resident this is a no-brainer! I love AZ but the choice is simple really. NM all the way. There is no unit in AZ where you can hunt bulls in prime time every year. More like every 8+ years. It comes down to math. There are twice as many elk in NM than AZ and 1/3 the population of people. The odds reflect this and you will hunt elk in NM many more times than you ever will in AZ. Throw in the free ranging exotics and NM is one of the best states in the west as far as hunting is concerned. You can always cross the border and take advantage of AZ's OTC archery deer hunts for about $500. Personally I would move to AZ for 6 months, get your lifetime license, and then move to NM!

best I've read yet! Also turkey come in two in NM, buying the lifetime in AZ is a great recommendation, move to Phoenix for a year and you'll hate life for ever! But you can get your lifetime license

Welcome to CW.com!

az for shore!

i have been able to draw a archery bull tag in az every other year. and ive had good opportunity's to kill bulls over 350+

just that im not that gooda hunter to tag one out every year :rolleyes: lol.

if you are wanting to hunt in places like Unit 9. then, then yep youll be waitin a while.

And AZ has the best gun friendly laws in the country