GreyGhost85

Dear max point holders,........

My 11 year old begged me to start putting him in this year so he can start building points and hopefully hunt one before he hits retirement. I'd say that is a pretty good estimate of how long it will take. I'm 39 with 7 points. By the time I draw I'll probably have to pass the tag down to my grand kid or great grand kid. Hopefully I'll still be able to kick it with them in camp when that happens.

LOL

Who am I kidding to think we will still be hunting in 30+ years? The liberals will have completely banned hunting long before this ever happens.

Unfortunately if you're 39 with only 7 points you'll more than likely never draw. Definitely won't reach max points so you'll have to get lucky in the random draw. And even more sad is your son starting at 11 years old will never reach max either. So just cross your fingers every year and hope you get lucky! Unless something changes even guys with 23-24 points right now will never have max.
Not banking on ever reaching max points, but I also don't put in for the "premium" unit.
  • Like 1

My 11 year old begged me to start putting him in this year so he can start building points and hopefully hunt one before he hits retirement. I'd say that is a pretty good estimate of how long it will take. I'm 39 with 7 points. By the time I draw I'll probably have to pass the tag down to my grand kid or great grand kid. Hopefully I'll still be able to kick it with them in camp when that happens.

LOL

Who am I kidding to think we will still be hunting in 30+ years? The liberals will have completely banned hunting long before this ever happens.

If they ban hunting in the next 30 years then there will be no game and fish dept except to patrol the lakes. I will definatly get to sheep hunt then in whatever unit I want. No cops to catch me. I will only take one. Lol

When it comes to sheep unless you have max, everyone pretty much has the same chance at drawing with 1-26 points.

Won't need wardens. We will all have government tracker implants by them that will report our every movement.

We already do......... It's our smartphones...

• Like 1

Another part of the future equation with the sheep draw that has yet to come into play is the die-off of older hunters. We all want to live to be 80+, but the fact is that about 10% of all males will pass away by age 50. By age 60, it's about 17%. By age 73 - about 35%. By age 80 - half of us males will have moved on (to better hunting grounds?). I am sitting on 24 points and I turned 60 in February. By my calculations, I will begin to have a mathematical chance at some of the less desirable units in another 10 years. By then I will be 70. Not sure what shape I will be in, but I have already begun to cross out the physically more demanding hunts.

The really sad part is: even if someone starts very young, the chance of completing the Arizona Big Ten challenge may have become a near-impossible fete.

I think it would be interesting to see the ages of the higher bonus point holders. I suspect a lot of us will drop out of the race simply due to our own mortality finally catching up with us.

I have helped several friends with their bighorn sheep hunts here in AZ. The bonus points they had when they got drawn were 46, 44, 42, 40 and 22 and there was one with 1 or 2 bonus points when he got drawn; that was our very own Troy.

The statistics said I will get drawn in another 20 years....I really want to prove the statistics wrong!

Ernesto C

Ernesto, i'm guessing that's a typo? The absolute max is 27?