Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Anyone see the Meteorite near Show Low?

As I get older, seems I sleep less. I got up around 3:45 this morning and was doing some reading on my iPad. Unfortunately, I had my reading glasses on, and I saw this incredibly bright light in front of our house. I assumed it was my oldest son coming home to get ready for work since he has a big light bar on his truck. A couple minutes later, there was a huge BOOM and the whole house shook.

I grabbed my flashlight and went outside to see if something had gotten hit by lightning or what in the heck just blew up.

Apparently the bright light was a meteorite that actually struck around 40 miles SW of Show Low and the giant boom was the sonic blast as it entered the atmosphere. Anyone else up at 4:00 this morning to witness it? I know my buddy thought his boat had blown up - lol.

Actually I held out hope it was a flame out from Hillary's broom.

• Like 5

Actually I held out hope it was a flame out from Hillary's broom.

If we could be so lucky

I read that meteorite was traveling at 40,000 mph when it hit the atmosphere?

I get up at 5, but was dead asleep at 4. Missed the fireworks.

Woke me up, thought one of my kids had fallen down the stairs...

• Like 1

A big topic on coast to coast radio show tonite . Aparently talked about alot today on talk shows around the country. Everyone wants to come to Arizona to see all the weird and neat happenings.................BOB!

I unfortunately leave my house for work at 0355 and was getting in my car, when the sky lit up behind me. I turned around and saw it break up. It was pretty cool.

• Like 1

My husband saw the bright flash when he was doing some owl surveys for me down on the Mexican border. He wasn't sure what the heck it was until seeing the news that night. He said it was pretty amazing...he was hiking with a super bright headlamp on and still the whole canyon lit up in a flash.

I missed the actual meteor, but snapped this picture as I was walking to my jobsite. Debated running home and grabbing my rifle to fight off the aliens.

post-6147-0-62496100-1464996292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I saw it getting ready for work. I thought Fort Huachuca was up to some military stuff.

anyone try to find the site of impact?

If ya know where Magee Jr high is, there is or was a meteor tracking station on the property west of the campus. They use radar to lock on to falling objects and triangulate with other stations to estimate impact locations.

Local meteorite hunters use slow, fixed wing aircraft to hunt meteorite impacts. They show up well on dry lake beds. I think I may have found an unknown impact crater 90 minutes west of town using Google Earth. When I go varmit calling this week, taking the metal detector.

If ya know where Magee Jr high is, there is or was a meteor tracking station on the property west of the campus. They use radar to lock on to falling objects and triangulate with other stations to estimate impact locations.

Local meteorite hunters use slow, fixed wing aircraft to hunt meteorite impacts. They show up well on dry lake beds. I think I may have found an unknown impact crater 90 minutes west of town using Google Earth. When I go varmit calling this week, taking the metal detector.

You are racing our enlisted boys sir. What I saw on I-17 leads me to believe our rich uncle has an interest also.

From what I read that was the size of the VW when it entered the atmosphere and then went claymore to the size of peas and strawberries.