Green Bullet

12 a archery question

never hunted archery on the kaibab. had a blast last year with a smoke pole but am not wanting to wait another 7-9 years to draw another tag. is the archery hunt an absolute zoo up there with all the tags or is it a reasonably good hunt?

Not a zoo at all. I used to go when it was unlimited and there were probably at least 1000 hunters on the east and west side maybe more. Now the hunt only has 475 tags and includes 12A E/W and 12B.

never hunted archery on the kaibab. had a blast last year with a smoke pole but am not wanting to wait another 7-9 years to draw another tag. is the archery hunt an absolute zoo up there with all the tags or is it a reasonably good hunt?

Depends on where you hunt, you will see other hunters for sure, but with current tag numbers you should have plenty of elbow room if you want it(want to get off the road a little bit).

I was there last fall with 550 and it was awesome! Only getting better. Went when it was over 1000 and even that wasn't bad. A 3 week season really helps spread the hunters out! Its getting much harder to draw though. Good Luck!

is there pretty good road hunting for this hunt? i would think the road hunting would be decent

I don't know about now but back in the day you would see archery road hunters everywhere. They would put two "hunters" in the back of the truck, sitting in chairs, arrows nocked, and launch at anything within striking distance. I'm sure it still goes on just like anywhere there are pine trees maybe not as much as now you have to draw tho.

But I have heard the hunt has gotten better and better with reduced tags.

• Like 1

is there pretty good road hunting for this hunt? i would think the road hunting would be decent

When the tags were unlimited, I would guess 70% of the hunters seem to road hunt. One year, we would watch the same group of guys drive down the road atleast 10 times. It was the road we camped on, so we would see them whenever we were in camp. They had a love seat in the back of the truck, and 2 guys sat in the back with arrows knocked. It was one of the funniest things I have seen up there.

Side note, we saw some absolute dandy bucks from the road up there and one year one of those dandy bucks was remote controlled and I'm sure he filled his quota. haha

I don't know about now but back in the day you would see archery road hunters everywhere. They would put two "hunters" in the back of the truck, sitting in chairs, arrows nocked, and launch at anything within striking distance. I'm sure it still goes on just like anywhere there are pine trees maybe not as much as now you have to draw tho.

But I have heard the hunt has gotten better and better with reduced tags.

sounds like a road hunters paradise.

my buddy's coworker has hunted that area 7 out of the last 9 years and he says it's a good hunt.

Back before they went to the draw I saw a guy on a moped with a bow rack now that was hilarious ...