twigsnapper

Blew the motor in 1999 Yukon need advice

Any body have a good gm mechanic to do an engine swap at a reasonable price?

Also, incase I do the engine swap myself anybody got a engine builder they'd recommend?

One last more detailed thing- thinking about going from 350 to 383, anyone with experience with this?

Thanks....

Look into a GM crate motor. They have stock and any stroker you want with a warranty. 383 won't be as good for crawling thru the hills (if you hunt with it?) as the 5.7 also there will probably be tuning issues and an additional cost of ECM work. Also, junk yards are your friend for GM stuff, they sold a bunch and people wrecked a bunch. What happened to your engine?

Stockish motor rebuild would be best probably. If you get to crazy especially with the cam specs your going to have problems. If you get to big on cubic inches you may have injector and fuel supply issues too.

Last time I had a motor built was by h&h machine in glendale. He did good work. You have to bring him the motor out of the vehicle though.

Gm crate motors are a good choice too.

What happened to your engine?

Was headed up the I17 pulling my airstream camper which weighs about 2800lbs. Started to lose power, then oil pressure dropped, then temp started to climb. Never did completely lose pressure but wasn't willing to pull over with the wife and kids in the car. So I kept my foot in it till we got to an exit which we couldn't even get all the way up the off ramp before she lost all power. It started to knock at the end and now she won't even turn over. Got water in the oil.....probly lost a head gasket, these are famous for that. I'll know more once I have a chance to pull it apart or find someone to do it. Looks like I can get a gm crate motor for $2,000 which has a warranty. I might go that direction.

My dad built a 383 for a '72 Chevy I restored when I was a kid. That was a bada$$ motor. We could smoke the 33 x 12.5 bfg a/t's easily.

Getting back on track...With all of the electronics and other crap these trucks have now, I would do the crate motor. Probably save a lot of headaches.

Good luck

Can't remember the company, but a place in socal builds a 383 specific for the year you need. I'm kicking around getting one for my 95 2 door tahoe. They are about $3500

Either a stock crate motor or mild crate motor would be the best IMO from what is sounds like happened to the motor. I imagine you will need a decent amount of machine work and full rebuild so the bill for that would probably be very close to the same price to get rebuilt with less warranty most likely.

I've got a buddy that will do a clean swap for about $500 cash. P.m. if interested

Great Deal on labor!!!!

olmos1010

It says you cant recieve messages..... inbox might be full

Thanks, I may take you up on that picker when I figure out what I'm gonna do.