AmericanThunder

Filtering Water

I backpack hunt here in Arizona. 90% of my water comes from cow tanks. I have a msr pump but lately I've been using my homemade gravity filter. It takes alittle longer but it's effortless. Me and a buddy just did 4day in April bear hunt and all we used was the gravity filter.

• Like 1

If you are getting water from a nasty looking stock tank it is a good idea to use a coffee filter to try and do a "preclean" of the water to avoid jamming your filter full of sediment. I use a katadyne hiker pro pump style filter and this helps. However, most of the water I filter from are springs and natural pockets.

• Like 3

Only filtered water once from a Coe tank. Might be germ/bacteria free but still tastes like pooh. Knowing natural water sources is one of my obsessions.

• Like 1

Only filtered water once from a Coe tank. Might be germ/bacteria free but still tastes like pooh. Knowing natural water sources is one of my obsessions.

Ever try adding flavored powder to it?

Ever try adding flavored powder to it?

not a bad idea.

I highly recommend checking out the Sawyer mini. It's like the survival straw but much more versatile,you can use it with water bottles,with a hydration bladder,or as a straw etc. Plus, it weighs 2 0z for my fellow weight conscious backpack hunters.I use it and take a few treatment tablets for backup in case i have a problem with the filter ( never have), and I have a $20,2 oz, bulletproof system.

• Like 3

I highly recommend checking out the Sawyer mini. It's like the survival straw but much more versatile,you can use it with water bottles,with a hydration bladder,or as a straw etc. Plus, it weighs 2 0z for my fellow weight conscious backpack hunters.I use it and take a few treatment tablets for backup in case i have a problem with the filter ( never have), and I have a $20,2 oz, bulletproof system.

sawyer mini is the filter I used in my gravity set up. Basically a dirty 3l and a clean 3l . Very simple very light
  • Like 2

For you guys using the Sawyer filters... Have you ever or how often do you have a clog that requires back flushing the filter? When/if the clog happens is it happening only with with visibly fouled water with debris suspended?

In April I was filtering from a nasty cow tank I was back flushing every 3l. We filtered around 30l that trip and we were glad to have it.

• Like 1

My son and I had to back flush ours on a trip last summer. But I think my son got to close to the bottom of the little creek we were using and sucked up sand into it. Very easy to back flush.

• Like 1

When I was filtering a lot, I also used bleach drops frequently which made most bad tasting water ok.