Zeke-BE

Grandpa's Springfield 1917 rifle rebuild, maybe 6.5-06?

I believe this is a springfield 1917 30-06. It was my grandfathers and I don't know how many animal he has taken with this but it was many! Grandpa gave this to us years ago because we didn't have any hunting rifles, and my older brother shot his first deer with it, I shot my first deer with it, my buddy shot his first big game Javalina with it. Its seen alot! Well instead of making it a rifle collective item i've been thinking about rebuilding it and turning it into a newer hunting rig with the same action. New stock, maybe new barrel. Also thinking about turning it into a 6.5-06. Grandpa wasn't an avid shooter, so I think this barrel might only have 500-600 rounds down the tube in its life time. But as you can see on the barrel looks like gramps added a ported muzzle break on the barrel itself.

So my question is what options do I have for a Springfield??????? Is there aftermarket parts, stocks, barrels for this gun?? What things need to happen, and what do i need to get down if I want to change it to a 6.5-06 other than a new barrel. Any tips, advise, if I should just keep it a 30 cal, keep it original, give it a new look, beef it up?? I want make gramps proud knowing that he knows that we are still hunting with his guns. If it sits there any longer grandpa will probably start turning in his grave!

post-12761-0-71610900-1466045010_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-65795200-1466045049_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-98988000-1466045082_thumb.jpg

You can even see Grandpa's old cattle brand mark on the action :)

Sorry. I say leave it be. If you modify it becomes just another rifle. Right it's Grandpa rifle with a bunch of cool stories. Just my thoughts

• Like 1

I have my great grand fathers model 11 hump back browning patient 12 gauge shotgun, with his 17 point 193" eastern whitetail that he shot with it. He got in NJ in 1942, I still use it but would never alter it, jmo

Cant believe you would even think about bastardizing it.....what an ahole of a grandkid you are. I know because i thought about doing the same things and realized how foolish I was to even think about changing my Grandpas rifle.

Leave it alone or you'll look back someday someday and regret it. Give the barrel a good lapping and see how she shoots.

I sold a 1917 improved to .300HH, what a beast.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! I'm with most of the guys on the thread-- Leave it be... for now. If it is shooting ok and there are no mechanical issues I would just give it a good cleaning and if anything maybe work up some good loads for it.

Once if has given you a mechanical reason to make a major change (action issue, barrel shot out, etc etc).... then have at it, re-do the stock and make it into something that you will still be proud to pass down!

You can buy any number of budget entry level rifles that will be just fine for hunting use for about the same cost of a new barrel let alone the new barrel and the smith work to get it installed. You are looking at about $300 for a quality barrel and another $300 in smith work to get it chambered and installed. You can buy a brand new Rem 700 or Savage and have money enough for a decent optic for $600. I would clean it up best I could and keep it as close to original as I could and use it.

Keep it the way it is. It's been a deer slayer for the whole family. I think your grandpa would roll over in his grave if you changed it.

Ok ok ok!!! Forgive me grandpa!!! Forgive me CWT, I'll keep it as is

• Like 5