rkv09

6.5 build question

I am building a 6.5 off of a 700 mag action and can't decide what caliber to pick between a .264 win mag and 26 nosler. I like the 26 because it is different and dies and brass are available. The gunsmith said he has had trouble finding a good load because of the casing and how it burns. Has anybody have exeperince with the 26 nosler? I am not too concerned with eating up the barrel because it will be a hunting rifle and after break in and finding a load, it will probably see 50 rounds a year. Also I have the lrab and eldx ready for loads if anybody has info on those. I use the lrab in my 7 mag with good experience on three elk and one coues. Thanks

Are you firm with those choices?

I would suggest look into a 6.5 4S (Super Secret Squirrel $#!t), 6.5 SS (Sherman Short), 6.5 WSM, or 6.5 RSAUM also. Much better barrel life, cheaper to shoot over the 26 Nosler, less recoil, and great case design. Similar to the .264WM.

My advice too, if you go with the 26 Nosler, please look into the 160 Matrix VLD. It can turn that cartridge into a true long range contender. Even the other cartridges I mentioned would shine with that bullet. With a G1 BC of .685 and a 1:8" recommended twist rate, they should fly great and put a whooping on medium to large game pushed at 2900+. With some of the bigger ones, 3000-3100 shouldn't be hard, maybe more.

6.5-300wby, since you're not concerned. Of the two you mentioned, 26 Nosler, for the brass.

I'm assuming the gap is Georgia precision... But the 4s vs saum I'm confused on. Sorry to hijack thread

I really like 6.5's. A buddy in high school had a Swedish Mauser that was fun to shoot and incredibly accurate with those round nosed 160's. 160 has a b.c. of .327 in .264, dang near .328. It lead me to one of my favorite builds because I did it with my pops while he was going through chemo. Please keep this one updated.

Difference between 6.5 GAP 4S is it is a 6.5-.300 RSAUM with a shorter freebore of .081" and neck with 2 choices (298 for a no-turn option or 296) depending on brass choice and desired neck tension. Also the GAP 4S is shorter to fit in an Accurate WSM magazine.

6.5 RSAUM has a bit of a longer leade and seat the bullet out, for just a touch longer COAL.

Probably not much, if any, difference in performance.

• Like 1

From my reading the Gap and SAUM are basically the same. But you can get GAP stamped brass and cannot get 6.5 SAUM brass? I thought Hornady was supposed to start making it but can't find it in stock anywhere so maybe there was an issue or maybe it is crazy popular.

.264 win mag is such an underrated classic round that I would lean that way. 6.5-300 weatherby would be fun too though.

They do make the 6.5 GAP brass, but getting some is a different story, so I hear.

If the OP really wants a hot rod of a round, I would also suggest the 6.5 Allen Mag. I'd completely forgot about Kirby's wildcats until Lance mentioned one in another thread last week. He makes some amazing rifles and takes overbore to another level. Figure 200-300fps over the 26 Nosler.

That 6.5 4S looks pretty cool but the brass seems hard to come by with only GAP offering it commercially. Making it from .300 SAUM brass is a little out my reloading knowledge and capabilities. Also the cost of the dies is more than any powder savings I would get from going with the 4S.

The 6.5 WSM looks interesting, same price for brass as the .26 nosler and from what I read you can just resize the 270 wsm brass to make it. The action I am using is a long action, will that make a difference since I believe the wsm use short actions?

The 160 Matrix does have great BC but is it like the berger bullets? I know some people swear by the bergers but I have seen them also just poke a little hole and keep on going. Thanks for all the suggestions, I am still leaning towards the .26 just because its fast and the dies and brass are readily available along with load data.

I need a 6.5 ss it must have been named after me because my last name is Sherman and I am short. I need to look into that

I built a 6.5 4S a couple years ago. There were two options for freebore, the original .120 (determined to be too long) and the now commonly used .081 which is preferred for shooting hybrid ogives. Also being able to fit in a short action detachable mag and still have a bit of room to chase the lands.

Most RSAUM reamers I have seen the specs for were extremely similar but with the longer freebore Lance talked about. These will eliminate the possibility of using detachable mags. You could use a long action and maximize the boiler room potential by running one of the longer freebore reamers but there is a chance of experiencing feeding issues with the short cartridge in the long action.

The goal of the 4S was to run high BC 6.5 bullets at 3100+ while using slower burning powders to provide conditions for a longer lasting barrel and fit in a short action with a detachable mag. It does this for me perfectly! It is my favorite rifle.

If someone wants factory brass for the 4S I have 200 unfired still in the box from GAP I'd sell. Wont be able to use them a awhile. Shoot me a PM.

If I was the OP in the situation he described I would pick the long action cartridge capable of slinging the 6.5 heavies the fastest. With extra points given to availability of quality brass.

• Like 1

6.5wsm will do anything the SAUM will. Built on a long action offers a lot of room for the good bullets and you can use the same slow burning powders in it too. 3100-3200 with 140s is easily done.

The thing I prefer with the 6.5RSAUM over the 6.5WSM is neck length. Other than that, the WSM has a great case.