Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

ROC Most Wanted

I got an update today from the Registrar of Contractors I thought some would find useful.

When having work done either at your house or place of business, always ask for their license number and then go here and look them up. It will show what current license they have and if there are any judgments against them. Never give up any money upfront, EVER!

It is ok to give them a partial payment AFTER the material has been delivered and then some more money after they are 50% complete but never pay in full until all the work is 100% and you are satisfied all the work specified in the contract is done. Also ask for references and get at least 3-5 bids with a start and end date.

https://roc.az.gov/roc-wanted

• Like 3

Guest oneshot

I have a horror story related to a contractor(NY) who had the proper licence/insurance,etc and a local "friend' to boot...

Contracted a home re-model for 16k, paid in full in cash before work was done... Crappy workmanship, 45days over 'promissed" end-date, final bill was 34k and a lien was placed on my home in 24hours...

The complaint to ROC/BB was semi-satisfying, the real satisfaction is... He is still catching an azz-beating/lost work due to real friends in NY...

It's a shame that you can't trust a dang soul anymore. People get "hungry" when put in hard times. Understandable.. but you would think that they would simply try to work harder for an honest living than scam others.

• Like 1

Or if You get a good contractor like I was that only lived on refferals no advertising, and I allways got 1/3 down. Just have to know who Your dealing with. And the other way around too. the Contractor needs to check out homeowner . How do we know they are clean. One other piece of art is the BBB. what a joke...................BOB!... Former licensed Contractor 23 years.

• Like 8

One more thing.I would't used any ,that somebody You know hasn't used.. If You get 3-5bids You have to much time on Your hands and are to picky and I wouldn't wanna work for You anyway. Go shop for the Wallmart contractor..The other thing is the guy that has to advertise alot ,thats because He's no good and has no refferralls..........BOB

• Like 6

The cheapest bid is usually not the right price in the end. I've seen it before, it happens all the time.

• Like 5

I'll add one more thing to this from my own experience.

Back when I was in the swimming pool construction business, I learned that the ROC also protects good contractors as well as consumers. In my 5 years in the business, my employer had probably a half dozen complaints filed against him. If I recall correctly all of them were judged to be invalid by the ROC. Unfortunately there are just as many bad customers as there are contractors. Definitely do your homework and check with the ROC, just be sure to you understand the difference between the complaints filed, ones judged valid, and the ones rejected by the ROC.

The way the ROC works, anyone can file a ROC complain and many are for completely absurd reasons. The ROC meets with both parties at the site to make a judgement on the complaint according to industry standards.

Unfortunately many consumers don't understand this and only see the number of filed complaints. Some consumers are wise to this and will threaten a contractor with a complaint to get something extra. Sort a like a frivolous lawsuit that is sometimes just easier to pay off and make it go away rather than go through the hassle and bad publicity of a trial. Many contractors (especially the big ones in the pool industry of 15 years ago) just considered paying these off a cost of business. The guys that are most effected are often the smaller businesses/contractors without the funds, and also at times, the integrity to do this.

Anyhow, it isn't my intention to invalidate the concerns of those that have been jobbed by bad contractors. Sorry you all had to go through that. I've had my own experiences with the ROC from both sides. Just make sure you fully understand the ROC complaint process. If you do, it can save you a lot of frustration and headache.

• Like 4

I don't know why anyone would do business in the residential market. I did work as an employee in the residential field for about 8 years for a GC. I've now been in commercial as an employee for 11 years for a GC. I really notice the difference between the two. Residential is much tougher. In commercial it seems there are much better subs. Also the clients seem to know what costs really are. An example would be Asbestos testing. In residential, people would freak out at the $800 cost. If areas tested hot, then the abatement costs are up there. Another would be fees for Special ins. Permit fees ( county, local, adeq, impact), haul fees, dumpsters, porta johns, etc. All are necessary and I've seen push back in Residential, not much in Commercial.

• Like 3

I'm a licensed roofer and remodeler (2 different companies) we routinely take half down just to contract the job but don't get paid the remainder until the customer is happy. And they always are. read the online reviews and ask around to other people who have used them. Also ask for cusomer references like realtors or general contractors they have worked with. Unfortunately looking at the ROC website just isn't enough these days. Most crappy contractors still don't have claims against them. The real problem is that 90% of the general public doesn't know how to tell poor workmanship from good workmanship. I can't believe some of the crap that ive seen that people were actually happy with.

• Like 3

I've been a licensed contractor (Used to be an L-60, now a CR-60 license) for Finish Carpentry (Custom millwork and cabinetry) since 1997. I learned early on in the residential market that I don't do work without a deposit... Ever. Typical terms are 40% up front, 40% upon delivery, balance due net 30 from completion. And every project gets a pre lien.

In my humble opinion, customers wanting to skate on parts of the payment are far more common than getting stiffed by a licensed contractor. As for unlicensed contractors or dudes doing stuff in their garage on the cheap? You get what you pay for.

I call it the Ikea Effect - Everybody thinks entire custom kitchens can be bought at Ikea for $4500. I don't touch that crud, and if part of your request to me when putting together a proposal is "well, I saw this at Ikea for $____" Then I politely recommend they buy from Ikea. It will look OK for 6 months, and you will be replacing it in 2 years because it fell apart.

• Like 2

One more thing.I would't used any ,that somebody You know hasn't used.. If You get 3-5bids You have to much time on Your hands and are to picky and I wouldn't wanna work for You anyway. Go shop for the Wallmart contractor..The other thing is the guy that has to advertise alot ,thats because He's no good and has no refferralls..........BOB

^ And +1 This all day long. I sent out a flyer to valley designers / architects / general contractors in late 1997 shortly after I started my company. It is the last time I ever advertised... It has been 100% repeat / referral business since then.

I've been building a house for a while now, paying cash as I go and doing almost all the work myself. In the beginning I was looking for a concrete convector and after calling 6 I got one to actually show up for a bid. I like him and his price so he did my slab and it turned out nice. Tried to contract a crane operator to lift my 50' trusses but 3 companies would not give me a bid or return my calls. Stucco! Haha! 5 different guys including 2 different companies that I saw doing stucco in my neighborhood never called back. One actually came out to take measurements but he was never heard from again. My under slab plumber (local guy) was awesome, concrete guy was awesome (both licensed) my shingle amigo (unlicensed) was awesome. I'm not sure if it's where I live but I haven't had good luck with contractors in general licensed or not. The ones That have been good are from this site or found in the yellow pages.

Mule deer33 I bet the guys that didn't call you back is because you were building by yourself . Most contractors shy away from that as I would. Why cause we generally see your type as tight wads. Which most do it Yourselffers are . Nothing personall ,just saying the way it is.....................BOB!

• Like 1