Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

PointGuard, good idea or money making scam?

Can only be used once.

Actually a person can do it more than once. However it is only after you have used up all your points and started at beginning again. So if someone starts back a 2 and 8 years later has 10 points built back up they are eligible to use point guard protection again.

Still waiting to see who and how the returned tags get given back. One of 3 choices?WTF?

Whoring out your points unless its family is wrong. The only way this should work would be family emergency,death,or injury.

Good way to buy some good optics though...hmmm pimp your points for a stx 95 swaro?

"Whoring out your points unless it's family is wrong. The only way it should work would be family emergency, death or injury."

Kinda hypocritical, no?

I mean family as in my dad and brother and myself put in together. Not granma jane who doesnt even hunt but has 20 points so the the grandson jimmy can whore off her points. That's BS and totally different than family and friends on the same app. Hope that makes me less of a hypocrite.?

I left out the part if we all put in together for max points, we would all hunt together as well. I would not give my tag up, I would use it. You will never see my $ in this point guard BS. Should of explained it better first time.

Even if you don't plan on sharing points, point guard is a cheap insurance policy. You never know when an emergency, injury or life is going to pop up. Kind of like car insurance, we all complain about it until we need it. Point Guard & $5 is a no brainer for me.

That is 1 beer at the bar or 1 of those foo foo drinks from starbucks.

• Like 2

Once per lifetime? Decade? Does it ever start over?

The way I understand it: once you take advantage of the PG program then you must utilize the next tag you draw.

But I've never heard or read that it can't be used again. But I'm wrong often.

Obviously it'll take you quite a few years to build enough points again to "take advantage" of the system like mentioned already. But it wouldn't be advantageous to the department if they only allowed you to use this once in a lifetime.

Sorry, after reading my post I couldn't even understand it. Ha!

The way I understand it would be that you would just start over again. You can only forfeit the tag ONCE and keep your BPs. The next time you draw you must take the tag.

Then it all starts over again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong??

Here are the requirements:

• PointGuard is available to applicants who apply online for a hunt permit-tag.
  • All applicants must sign up for a free AZGFD Portal account to purchase PointGuard (visit www.azgfd.gov, click on the “Sign in to Account” button in the upper right-hand corner of the home page, then select the “Create an Account” option).
  • PointGuard is $5 per species, per applicant, purchased at the time of completing the online application, or prior to the application period deadline. The fee is non-refundable.
  • Only one hunt permit-tag may be surrendered, per species. If an applicant is drawn in the future for that particular species, that hunt-permit tag must be used, expending all accumulated bonus points. Only then may an applicant participate again in PointGuard.

The primary applicant (the person who takes the lead in completing the online application for the other applicants) will be prompted to purchase PointGuard at the time of completing the online application. That primary applicant can purchase PointGuard for each additional applicant who has a verified Portal account.

The 4th bullet point from above says what I was trying to say. Especially the last sentence.

Here is the process to surrender a hunt permit-tag:

• A hunt permit-tag must be surrendered prior to the close of business the day before the start of that particular hunt.
  • An applicant who has purchased PointGuard will present the original hunt permit-tag to be surrendered, along with a completed tag surrender application form, in person to any customer service representative at any of the department’s statewide office locations.
  • The hunt permit-tag being surrendered and PointGuard purchase will be verified by the department.
  • The department will restore all accumulated bonus points for that particular species, including the bonus point the applicant would have accrued if not successful in the draw.
  • The hunt permit-tag fee is non-refundable.

A person who donates, or transfers, his or her hunt permit-tag to a qualified nonprofit organization, also can participate in tag surrender, provided the requirements listed above are fulfilled. An acceptable proof of the transfer must be provided to the department (a receipt from the qualified nonprofit organization, for example). The tag surrender application form and an acceptable proof of the hunt permit-tag being donated must be completed within 60 days of the donation, and no less than 30 days before the next application deadline for that particular species.

According to rule (R12-4-118), the department has several options for the reissuance of a surrendered hunt permit-tag. The proximity to the start of a particular hunt, the type of hunt permit-tag, and demand for that hunt permit-tag will factor into how it will be reissued.

Here is the process to surrender a hunt permit-tag:

• A hunt permit-tag must be surrendered prior to the close of business the day before the start of that particular hunt.
  • An applicant who has purchased PointGuard will present the original hunt permit-tag to be surrendered, along with a completed tag surrender application form, in person to any customer service representative at any of the department’s statewide office locations.
  • The hunt permit-tag being surrendered and PointGuard purchase will be verified by the department.
  • The department will restore all accumulated bonus points for that particular species, including the bonus point the applicant would have accrued if not successful in the draw.
  • The hunt permit-tag fee is non-refundable.
A person who donates, or transfers, his or her hunt permit-tag to a qualified nonprofit organization, also can participate in tag surrender, provided the requirements listed above are fulfilled. An acceptable proof of the transfer must be provided to the department (a receipt from the qualified nonprofit organization, for example). The tag surrender application form and an acceptable proof of the hunt permit-tag being donated must be completed within 60 days of the donation, and no less than 30 days before the next

application deadline for that particular species.

According to rule (R12-4-118), the department has several options for the reissuance of a surrendered hunt permit-tag. The proximity

to the start of a particular hunt, the type of hunt permit-tag, and demand for that hunt permit-tag will factor into how it will be

reissued.

Maybe G$F will reissue after an auction or raffle. That would fuel their money makin machine!

I kinda changed my mind. I think its good cause what if You draw a great tag out of State that hunt is at sam time frame ,u may never draw again ,but can get that AZ. tag again in a few years........................BOB!

I kinda changed my mind. I think its good cause what if You draw a great tag out of State that hunt is at sam time frame ,u may never draw again ,but can get that AZ. tag again in a few years........................BOB!

Maybe you should not be putting in for out of state hunts that may interfer with your in state hunts if you draw ...

Not once a lifetime ... Surrender this year have to take the tag the next year you draw... Bonus points reset to 0, 1 , or 2 depending on Hunt Ed and Loyalty .... you can do it again when you are ready ... It is not to complicated to figure out how it will be abused by some ... I already know someone who had 4 non hunters in the family banking points

My wife has 17 bonus points for deer, elk, antelope and sheep. She never plans on hunting, but with point guard I will be able to use her bonus points twice to help me get drawn...