DesertBull

Jimmy Johns

WOW.. go JIMMY JOHN!

Awesome ram! I love that he doesn't let the antis scare him every time a hunting picture of him gets out and they call for a boycott. I genuinely believe that 99.99% of them lack the moral backbone to follow through, and call for boycotts as they stuff their faces with delicious subs. It is the Kanye/Kardashian principle, all attention is good attention, even if it appears bad on the surface.

• Like 1

In New Mexico you can sell the sheep tag if you are the raffle winner. The raffle winner decided to sell his tag, the outfitter that he had booked with said he would put it up for auction for the big money people. The outfitter claimed he did not know of any big rams. Puts it up for auction, then all of a sudden this ram shows up just off the highway with some ewes and other rams, outfitter calls jimmy john, he pays $400,000.00 jumps on a plane flys out kills the ram on the same day. This could happen, but he is a older ram with no chips, no one has surfaced that has ever seen the ram before, if he had lived in the wild his entire life some one would know about him, and he would have some chips on his horns from fighting. Maybe they should look for tire tracks at a gate where a stock trailer unloaded him. Could be a pen raised ram from New Mexico's red rock holding facility.

In New Mexico you can sell the sheep tag if you are the raffle winner. The raffle winner decided to sell his tag, the outfitter that he had booked with said he would put it up for auction for the big money people. The outfitter claimed he did not know of any big rams. Puts it up for auction, then all of a sudden this ram shows up just off the highway with some ewes and other rams, outfitter calls jimmy john, he pays $400,000.00 jumps on a plane flys out kills the ram on the same day. This could happen, but he is a older ram with no chips, no one has surfaced that has ever seen the ram before, if he had lived in the wild his entire life some one would know about him, and he would have some chips on his horns from fighting. Maybe they should look for tire tracks at a gate where a stock trailer unloaded him. Could be a pen raised ram from New Mexico's red rock holding facility.

Sounds like sour grapes story from a jealous hunter/outfitter. His horns look like normal bighorn to me, it's even got Broomed tips

• Like 3

True some rams do not show much damage, but most older rams do, the pen raised rams in Mexico i have seen do broom the ends on the enclosure fences.

It does not matter to me, but that was the way the hunt was done. Grand Slam Club/Ovis conducted the auction.

I am not saying it was for sure a pen raised ram, but after 30 years of hunting sheep, big rams like this one, someone has prior pictures of him especially in the unit he was in.

i can understand being against selling animals to the highest bidder, teams of hunters, but making up ridiculous sounding stories about penned rams being released off a highway is truly sad.

New Mexico releases pen raised desert bighorns, ewes and rams from there red rock facility into there existing sheep populations all the time, call them and ask them.

what are we arguing about then? He killed a legal ram right? Are you saying they timed the release with the intention of jimmy John buying the tag and killing it, Or with the intention that the guy selling the tag would get rich, or both? How did it find the ewes and Rams it was running with overnight?

New Mexico releases pen raised desert bighorns, ewes and rams from there red rock facility into there existing sheep populations all the time, call them and ask them.

what are we arguing about then? He killed a legal ram right? Are you saying they timed the release with the intention of jimmy John buying the tag and killing it, Or with the intention that the guy selling the tag would get rich, or both? How did it find the ewes and Rams it was running with overnight?
All the usual jibber jabber when a rich guy kills a big animal...he paid a bunch of money and filled his tag his way. Obviously not the same way a lot of us hunt, but still a beautiful animal.
  • Like 2

Sucks that there always has to be some underlying negative story about every auction tag. Lots of jealousy in this world. True or not, I love that Jimmy John went hunting, shot a stud ram, and then posted it on social media for the anti's to complain about. To many celebrities or successful people have to try and hide their accomplishments so that negative publicity does not hit. That poor dentist who shot "Cecil" had his life ruined over his hunting trip.

• Like 6

Sounds like a crazy story to me. And curious as to why someone would pay $400,000 for a ram here but could pay $50- $60,000 in Mexico and kill a huge ram. Maybe he is a nice guy but that's crazy money for a sheep tag.