Sign in to follow this  
desertmafia21

Merino socks????

Looking at getting some good merino socks for my October whitetail hunt. I will be backpacking for the whole hunt and don't want to worry about my feet having issues with sweat and or blisters. What's everyone's suggestions and favorites?

I bought several packs ar Costco several years ago that have worked great and are reasonably priced. Go down to Walmart and buy a pack of thin cheap dress socks and wear those in between. I have eliminated the blisters and sore feet using this combo. David

• Like 4

Darn tough...well worth the $$

Yep, never thought I could be so impressed with a sock.

• Like 1

I've been wearing merino socks daily for over 10yrs. From boot socks overseas to boot socks here in Phx to ankle high running socks, all on a daily basis, there is no better material for pretty much any activity. And the Patagonia socks, of which I have probably a dozen pairs, have lasted literally a decade. Obviously I'm totally sold on the material. I'm ordering a few pairs of First Lite socks to replace those that are getting thin.

• Like 2

I've heard a few top guides on the Jay Scott podcast mention the sock layering system mentioned above about using a thin pair of dress socks. I've also heard that Fox River makes some really good socks,but I have not tried them yet.

Check out the podcast episode 158 about footwear.

• Like 1

Any and all hiking trips I wear poly liner socks and wool on top. No blisters after hundreds of miles. No doubt the way to go.

• Like 2

I have a few pair of Smartwool Light Hikers and they work great. Had them for years. Then, 2 years I had seen that Costco has their own version. Bought a 4 pack which was the same price as one pair of Smartwools. Hard to tell the difference between the Smartwool and Costco versions. Went back to Costco last fall to buy a 2 more packs and they no longer carried them. Hopefully they will this year...but yes, merino wool all the way with poly liners and you should be blister-free.

Same pair for me. They're so thin and light that is I need to wash them it's easy and they dry fast. I've used that system my whole life for skiing.

• Like 1

When using liners, do you use the same pair for multiple days or change them everyday. Trying to figure out how many pairs to bring on a 6 day trip

I apologize that I keep throwing out the Jay Scott podcast, but they have fantastic information. In an episode from last week with Kuiu founder Jason Hairston, Jay asked about this. When Jason does his long multiple day hunts he only takes two pairs and rotates them each day so the other pair has time to dry/air out. Seems logical to me if trying to minimize gear and weight.

• Like 3

Never wore a liner sock but my sad looking hooves have been stuffed in boots since I could walk. A good sock and more importantly a good fitting boot will eliminate most blister issues.

I really like the first lite socks. For some reason I like over the calf socks when I'm on the trail and the first lite's are they best I've worn.

• Like 1

Also camo fire has merino socks at $6.50 a pair right now. I like the Lorpen cool max synthetics they have on there as well. 2 pair for $8.99

• Like 1