Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Under Armour pisses off hunting community

People hunt animals over "bait" all the time. Water holes, doves on fields, deer in oak stands, ducks/geese over ponds, coyotes over carcasses, etc.

Many states allow baiting. No way was this a tame bear. Tame would be the high fence canned hunts where the animals associate humans with food, not a 55 gallon drum with food. That bear wanted the people out, not walk right up to them for a handout. .

I bet if you tried a couple times you could hand feed plenty of those Canadian bears if you had the cojones. It looks like shooting fish in a barrel.

no they dont associate human with food at all....But who would want to shoot an animal that you can yell at and not leave a bait while in the middle of putting up a tree stand. I would consider that "tame." But some people like that kind of thing.

I don't think there is any debate over the method of taking the animal, although it might be uncomfortable, it was legal. The issue for me is that they were seeking attention for it. Some people might not understand, but to me hunting is a very unique and special connection to an animal that requires a lot of respect. If you go to their instagram page for Bowmar Bowhunting you can watch Josh shoot at a mule deer from 95 yards. When he releases the arrow the animal is quartering towards him and it then spins to take off and hits it perfectly in the vitals, which ends of being the best possible outcome. I know this opens another can of worms on what is an ethical shot, but there is no possible way he knew that would happen when he released the arrow.

I think the biggest take away from this is that we as hunters need to be careful about what videos/pictures we are posting. Anti-hunters are looking for any possible thing they can find to set hunting back. Posting a video of a black bear being speared is a lot for people to handle who do not have any prior knowledge of hunting. If that is their first experience with hunting it is difficult to back track and explain the positive aspects of hunting such as conservation and providing organic meat for your family.

• Like 3

Midwest this is the "look at me generation". I am convinced people only do half the things they do so they can brag on social media. Doesn't make sense to me but I'm the weirdo for not having Facebook. Heck, I don't even post pictures on this site around mostly like minded people. Guess everybody wants their 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Midwest this is the "look at me generation". I am convinced people only do half the things they do so they can brag on social media. Doesn't make sense to me but I'm the weirdo for not having Facebook. Heck, I don't even post pictures on this site around mostly like minded people. Guess everybody wants their 15 minutes.

You're missing out on Facebook. There are even more, bigger, and even stupider arguments to be seen between hunters.

Brian

• Like 5

You're missing out on Facebook. There are even more, bigger, and even stupider arguments to be seen between hunters.

Brian

too bad im banned from every hunting FB page.

yeah i know what you mean, not everyone is attention whores though, but many, many are. i cant blame some of them, they make good money online showing off their butts and shooting bows.

2hphp4o.jpg

thats what gets you sponsored by UA

• Like 3

Ive literally walked up to deer up to 10 ft, elk 30ft and bear 20 ft. All in the wild. (not stumbled upon, but walked on purpose strait to them to see what they would do) It happens!

Everyone arguing...

Spears are badass... Have been for the last, I don't know, 15,000 years or so..

Would some of you been okay with this if it was at a water hole or "water bowl" or even a berry patch for that matter?

Don't know about you but this makes me want to go spear a effin bear!!!

• Like 6

I think Baiting is BS .. But even I understand why so many places with huge density of bear use baiting and its importance for population management and selective harvesting. That being said, He chucked that spear further than a lot of guys have had to letting an arrow fly. It was legal, the game was recovered, looking at the blade and penetration it probably suffered and expired quicker than if it had been hit with a bad rifle or bow shot, so I ask WTF is the big deal.

UnderArmour should just get out of the hunting clothing business since they do not have the balls to support the legal taken of big game when a handful of douchebags ( who probably will never own UA) cry about it

• Like 4

except they didnt have 500lbs of maple donuts 15,000 years ago.

• Like 2

No they baited bear by slaughtering another animal being it a deer, a mule a wild horse... you think bears are only attracted to maple and honey ?

• Like 2

No they baited bear by slaughtering another animal being it a deer, a mule a wild horse... you think bears are only attracted to maple and honey ?

youre right i wasnt thinking, since people use wild horses in AZ. which i could get behind that since i hate wild horses.