CatfishKev

Road Hunting, Still Illegal

I was with my buddy driving to a spot over the weekend and saw a buck on a ridge. we pulled over and where looking at him through the binos and a game warden pulls up and starts yelling at us for road hunting and threatened. to give us a ticket for road hunting. He said your are using your vehicle as an advantage and that is illegal. I said so does that mean I have to walk from my house to my hunting spot. he wasn't amused

I would have told that warden to eat shite and take a hike. There is no need to harass people. Alot of us go to the woods to get away from crap like that. There is no place for crooked officious officers in the woods.

• Like 4

I was looking at some new country last week for good spots for deer to be bedding. Saw a few browsing 5/16 mile off so I parked off the road and glassed them for an hour before finding a buck and beginning my stalk.

Shame on me seeing deer from the road. Ought to be shot without a blindfold.

PS deer were right where I'd expect them. Had I not seen them, the country looked right and I still would have parked and looked there.

• Like 3

Most of the roads I go on almost require driving less than 10mph. I'm off the main (good) dirt roads before daylight anyway and can't see in the dark. If I see a deer while driving a bad road I'm gonna pull off and figure it out. It's a huge grey area if your hunting from road or trying not to tear up your truck. Also what's considered a road is another grey area.

• Like 1

I was with my buddy driving to a spot over the weekend and saw a buck on a ridge. we pulled over and where looking at him through the binos and a game warden pulls up and starts yelling at us for road hunting and threatened. to give us a ticket for road hunting. He said your are using your vehicle as an advantage and that is illegal. I said so does that mean I have to walk from my house to my hunting spot. he wasn't amused

No, you just keep your eyes closed when driving.

• Like 1

Only a newb hunter even thinks about stuff like this

You want to know why people get upset about people road hunting? Because it works and they're jealous that they hiked into to some crappy spot and didn't see nothing only to drive by that one roadhunters camp and see a nice buck hanging.

• Like 3

My understanding of it has always been this:

1. Driving somewhere and bump into a deer so you go for it = dumb luck and perfectly legal

2. Driving up and down roads in an effort to come up on something and jump out and shoot it before it can run off or shoot it from your vehicle = roadhunting and illegal.

Its been a few years since I took hunters ed, but I think that was how they explained it to us.

As for me, im not Interested in tickets, g&f officers or paying lawyers so I leave my bow in its case until I park and then walk in.

When I'm older and can't walk good, I'll deliberately drive every single road I can specifically trying to kill an animal off it, not quitting hunting because of hall monitors on hunting forums. If the "backcountry" is so great why are people worried about people hunting off the road lmfao

• Like 1

When I'm older and can't walk good, I'll deliberately drive every single road I can specifically trying to kill an animal off it, not quitting hunting because of hall monitors on hunting forums. If the "backcountry" is so great why are people worried about people hunting off the road lmfao

I think there is a difference between hunting and killing. Also being a hunter or just killing something.

I think there is a difference between hunting and killing. Also being a hunter or just killing something.

thats your opinion. to me hunting is being out in the woods and looking for game with a hunting license. whether im in a car, on the side of the road or on top of a mountain. i dont have to be 1 mile deep for me to consider myself hunting.

• Like 2

If you are a hunter you are always looking for game. You may be glassing, walking or driving. Dont shoot from the road, across the road or from the vehicle and I think your safe.

im always looking for game and i dont shoot from the roads if someones watching.

I'm looking out the window at all times when on canyon roads whether it's hunting season or not. Im surprised I haven't ended up in a ditch or ravine at this point.

Now I can't help but wonder how many steps off of a road you have to take in order to "not shoot from the road". Hmmmm.

I would have told that warden to eat shite and take a hike. There is no need to harass people. Alot of us go to the woods to get away from crap like that. There is no place for crooked officious officers in the woods.

I think they put it in writing as more of a discouragement. A warden is probably more likely to bark then write a citation. Seems to me that unless they saw you drive up looking out the window see a deer and get out and shoot it it would be a really hard thing to prosecute.

Like every law, it is very gray. You can be cited for lots of violations that may not seem like violations, but it is the officers/judges interpretation of the law. Years ago, the game warden in 19a was giving tickets to antelope hunters that would glass an Antelope, then drive closer to get out and stalk. Let's be honest, Antelope can be spotted from miles away, and technically, if you glass him up at a mile away, then drive closer to get a look and then stalk him, you just used your truck to aid in the taking of game. This is how this particular warden interpreted the law. Last I heard, some of the cases stood up in court, and then a few started getting dismissed.

It is always funny how much complaining about road hunting there is on this site. Everyone is hardcore hunters that hike in everywhere, but they still seem to have road hunters ruin their hunt. Seems like the 2 styles of hunting should never interfere with each other, but it always does....

• Like 2