Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Your best days

Ever get to the point in life when you have to take a really hard look at where you are, where you've been and what's left when you leave?

I'm a religious person and only 45 but I have been thinking about these things a lot lately. My body is telling me time is short, but it could just be nothing. I think I have a lot left to do here, lives to touch, but lately I've just wanted to find God and make peace.

I'm out on the Campfire, because that is where I've always found people searching for the same thing.

• Like 9

Wow..... This is a deep one, and definitely struck a chord with me. I'm just a few years older than you. Almost 'emty nester' status. Little sweetie is the only one left, and she is starting her Sr. year. Boys already off to college.

I have found that recently I am focusing on much different things than I used to even just a few years ago. An old but good quote comes to mind: "Wanting what you have, as opposed to having what you want." I didn't understand that a few years ago, and now I am realizing it. So much happier these days because of it.

My life today is focused on relationships, gratitude, and serenity in my heart & soul. It feels like a good place! ^_^

S.

:)

• Like 6

God is planting a seed in your life. Keep your heart and soul focused on Him and hour harvest will be fulfilled in do time. Sounds like He wants to use you for something wonderful.

• Like 6

Coach I think it's called soul searching and although I have almost 20 years on you I know what you mean. I've been blessed with great health which I give credit to my mothers side of the family. Dad passed at 61 from a stroke and at 87 we lost Mom in January followed by my brothers wife a couple of weeks later, then two months later Moms fiance and then next day my only son. But thanks to some well train staff and Mesa FD they brought him back only to loose him four more times over the next couple of weeks with me by his side three of those times.

He is out of the hospital now after being in there for a month and has a permanent defribrilator. He is lucky but his heart is only at 30% and I have to be honest I freak out a little everytime my phone rings, nothing like constantly being on edge. I'm not sure what the future brings and I really try hard to be that person my family and friends can be proud of and look up to but I definitely fall off the good guy wagon once in a while. I think I just get too passionate about things sometimes.

One thing I have witnessed is that god is where you find him and sometimes our bodies throw us for a struggle.

• Like 7

I believe that our life on earth, is a short stop, in a long journey. I look forward to what is next..

Based on family health history, it probably won't be long. Family, and people I know have been passing on at an alarming rate.

I'm only 55, but some day's feel like 80

• Like 3

Coach, I read your post about 4 hours ago, but decided to go hike South Mountain before responding.

Yes, "soul searching" like PRDATR said. Old Socrates said the unexamined life isn't worth living. Heard someone else say recently that the examined life aint always that great either. Ha! Seriously, a little soul searching every once in a while is a good thing. Agree with Snapshot too that this earthly life is only a small part of our existence. My wife and I lost our firstborn son - killed in a car accident when he was 6 years old, and his death sure caused me to look and think about things. To be honest it almost ruined me, but a close friend told me it doesn't matter whether you live 6 years or 90, either way is a short time compared to eternity. I really didn't want to live anymore for awhile, but I had a wife and kids that needed me, so I found a way to get my $#!+ together and move on. Now I didn't share this looking for sympathy because I've long since made peace with it, but a lot of times it's a personal tragedy that really causes us to reflect. Other times, it's just an awareness of out mortality as life takes its toll on us.

I'm 56, and physically anyway, my best days are certainly behind me. Let's see, I've got a ruptured disk in my back, gravel in my left shoulder, and arthritis in my hips and knees. Had a heart attack 4 years ago and quadruple bypass surgery. Other than that, I feel pretty good! Cranked out 6 miles on S. Mountain this morning in 90 minutes. Two years ago (18 months after open heart surgery), I tested for my black belt in Karate. It was a grueling 4 hour test, and there wasn't anyone that could keep up with me, including the teens and 20 somethings. But I am slowing down. I'm feeling it. Sometimes I think God lets us have this gradual deterioration, all the aches and pains, to remind us that our life on this earth is temporary, and we're not going to be here forever. Anyway, I'm going to keep on keeping on, gonna kick until I can't kick no more.

Soul searching helps us to get our priorities straight. To be honest I feel blessed. Have a wife that loves me and still have 2 kids at home that I would do anything for. Our youngest son turns 18 next month, and I'm just trying to get him to graduate high school. My 13-year-old daughter is a competitive figure skater and has her act totally together. I want to be around for as long as possible to be here for them. I'm 8 years away from medicare and just hoping I make it before another heart attack. Hoping to spend a lot more time hunting and fishing as I don't get to head up the mountain nearly as often as I'd like to now. But none of us knows. So it's important to live a good life today (as opposed to living the good life).

PRDATR, 30% is not great, but if he follows his diet and takes his meds and follows the program, your son can live a long life, God willing. I think all of us fall off the good guy wagon sometimes. I know I sure do.

• Like 4

Coach:

No one knows when his/her time is up, but with luck, modern medicine and God's will I suspect the hourglass that measures your life is only about half empty. My best years began at about age 45, mostly because I had realized my daughter and grandkids had grown up to be responsible, talented adults who never presented us any of the problems the children of some of my friends gave their parents.

I literally died at age 66 in 2002 when my LAD (the "widowmaker" artery) suddenly became 100% blocked, but I survived thanks to fast action to revive me by the staff and cardiologists at Tucson Heart Hospital where I'd gone because of minor chest pains.

It was not the only time I dodged the bullet. I've had heart problems since my mid-thirties, and since my first pacemaker was installed eleven years ago, I've been told that my heart had stopped beating while I slept (on two occasions) and the pacer got me going again.

Old age has brought me nearly every acronym known to the American Medical Association -- CHF, COPD, PAD, CAD, A-fib, CKD, SAA, AMD -- plus pseudo-gout, hyperthyroidism, and hyperglycemia.

However, my biggest scare ever came last summer, when my wife of 60 years suffered a heart attack at our cabin. I got her to Summit Hospital in Show Low and she was flown to Tucson where a stent and a balloon treatment opened her blocked arteries.

I don't know what I would have done without her, but she is fine now. I have told her she is forbidden to go before me.

At age 80, every day is a blessing. My own death does not scare me, but the thought of losing her or the possibility of either of us suffering a stroke, dementia, or something similar scares the poop out me.

Coach, my point is that you should enjoy each day and this truly wonderful world. Tell your spouse, children and grandkids often that you love them and are proud of them, and that you look forward to many years ahead with them.

End of sermon.

Bill Quimby

• Like 10

I have been through what you are facing twice in the last 6-8 years. At age 55 my wife left, due to various reasons a very successful family farming business shut it doors, my mom died a slow death from cancer, not long afterward my dad died. I stepped out of life to try to figure out what to do, what direction to take. I am at that crossroads again at age 62. I still have my health but know that my time is short. I have life changing decisions to make.

This one thing has kept my sanity, my faith in a God that I believe cares. I have stumbled and fallen, questioned, been angry at Him and turned my back only to come back to Him. My faith is the only thing that keeps me going. I must believe because none of it makes any sense without it.

• Like 6

I have been through what you are facing twice in the last 6-8 years. At age 55 my wife left, due to various reasons a very successful family farming business shut it doors, my mom died a slow death from cancer, not long afterward my dad died. I stepped out of life to try to figure out what to do, what direction to take. I am at that crossroads again at age 62. I still have my health but know that my time is short. I have life changing decisions to make.

This one thing has kept my sanity, my faith in a God that I believe cares. I have stumbled and fallen, questioned, been angry at Him and turned my back only to come back to Him. My faith is the only thing that keeps me going. I must believe because none of it makes any sense without it.

I have been through the exact type of situation. It can suck the soul ,and spirit, right out of a strong man.

All we can do is, keep on, keeping on!

• Like 3

Ever get to the point in life when you have to take a really hard look at where you are, where you've been and what's left when you leave?

I'm a religious person and only 45 but I have been thinking about these things a lot lately. My body is telling me time is short, but it could just be nothing. I think I have a lot left to do here, lives to touch, but lately I've just wanted to find God and make peace.

I'm out on the Campfire, because that is where I've always found people searching for the same thing.

We all send some good vibes your way Coach. :) Mid-life issues can be difficult.

• Like 1

Life is truly an intriguing thing and the fact that we all have freedom to choose what to do with our life is even more intriguing. Although I'm only 27 years of age.. I've witnessed more death, suicides, and just down-right "evil" moments than most people would be exposed to in their lifetime.. I, myself, suffer from numerous medical problems which most people would never have to deal with until their late 50's or later. It's certainly easy to look at all of these things as a negative experience but with a "trained" mind, you can alter the way you think and improve the quality of your life. I've read a TON of self-help books and self-empowerment books... but it all dang near states the same thing.. " Your mind is the strongest tool you have"

I hope the best for everyone out there and would love to hear about how people stay optimistic, positive, and happy.

God bless.

• Like 4

Life is truly an intriguing thing and the fact that we all have freedom to choose what to do with our life is even more intriguing. Although I'm only 27 years of age.. I've witnessed more death, suicides, and just down-right "evil" moments than most people would be exposed to in their lifetime.. I, myself, suffer from numerous medical problems which most people would never have to deal with until their late 50's or later. It's certainly easy to look at all of these things as a negative experience but with a "trained" mind, you can alter the way you think and improve the quality of your life. I've read a TON of self-help books and self-empowerment books... but it all dang near states the same thing.. " Your mind is the strongest tool you have"

I hope the best for everyone out there and would love to hear about how people stay optimistic, positive, and happy.

God bless.

Well Tony I can say that I get up each morning and think about the great times I had in the past and look forward to what the day will bring. Work keeps me busy and doesn't give me much time to dwell on reality. I have always been the provider and darn near the head of the household for my four brothers and sisters by the time I graduated HS. Daughter passed at 18 from a heart condition nine years go just after the wife asked me to leave so she could find herself after 21 years. Feels strange not having people depend on you, kinda takes the whole purpose of life away from you. Guess I know what John the Baptist felt like wandering the desert. LOL

• Like 6

I really want to thank each and every one of you who has responded. In a way I feel a little bad for bringing up such a topic, but the responses here help me, and I'm sure others who are reading and learning from the experiences you have shared here. Really - thank you all.

• Like 3

I really want to thank each and every one of you who has responded. In a way I feel a little bad for bringing up such a topic, but the responses here help me, and I'm sure others who are reading and learning from the experiences you have shared here. Really - thank you all.

Dont feel bad trust me, we all have or will go threw this I think about it each day as I get older,these comments from all have made me feel alittle better , hopefully it does you too ..