Favorite Deer Gun

What is your favorite deer gun in Arizona  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite deer gun in Arizona

• .25-06
    • .300 win mag
    • 7mm (of any kind)
    • Other

I am just curious to see what this will be. Mine would have to be my .300 win mag, but my good old .243 is up there to.

Edited by younghunter

Guest Ernesto C

You are missing a lots of good deer calibers in there,like 257,264 Win Mag.30-06 etc etc.

Mine will be 30-06 and I also like my wifes 308.

Have you ever harvested a deer with your 243? How far was it?

Thanks.......Ernesto C.

Yes I have taking a deer with my .243 and it was my first. It was an antlerless deer in kaibab at about 50 yards and it stopped in its tracks.

I just listed the first guns that had came to my mind. I apologize for no .30-06 and other guns that are good for deer.

younghunter

I like my beat up old ruger .270 It isn`t much on looks but it shoots good and it doesn`t way a ton either. I finally put a 3 x 9 leupold on it after 23 years of a fixed 4x leupold. I think I will put the 4x on a .22 or something. Coues Addict

I love my custom left handed 300 win. mag so I can't let it down, besides my 300 killed my first coues deer!(O yeah it's a browning!)

Edited by CouesSlayer

why, the .270 o' course. you mean they make other kindsa guns? must be a passin' fancy. ok, ok, i'm biased. but my dad says it's best, so it must be. but in all honesty, i have to agree that a list that doesn't include the .30-'06 ain't complete. afterall, all ya hafta to do is neck up a .270 to make one. Lark.

can never go wrong with the .270. Several years ago, i had a friend of mine who used to shoot big bore competition help me with my .270. Took the Remington 700 BDL action and barrel, dropped into into a macmillan stock with aluminum blocks, floated it, stuck a Leupold VIII on it. Have it sighted in dead on at 285 yards. I spend quite a bit of time shooting it and can drive some tacks with it. Really a comfortable rifle to shoot and have taken many coues with it. 2 years ago, I bought a stainless Ruger M77, composite stock in 30.06. This also has the Leupold VIII. This thing is just as accurate. Haven't hunted with it tho- may use it this year. I just have a hard time puttin down the .270. Most important is to use a rifle that you are comfortable with and shoot well.

Trufletch

I had a Remington 700 BDL in .280 (called a 7mm express back then) and used it the take a couple of coues, several Texas whitetail and some peccaries. I chose that cartridge back in the early 80's after John Wooters wrote an article on it. This was my first rifle. It was traded it towards a Browning Stainless Stalker in 7 mag, which was sold to get a HS precision in 300 WSM. Also have a Win 70 Featherweight in Lark's favorite chambering, which has been used on coues a couple of times.

I really have not gotten a "favorite" rifle , yet. But I'm working on it.

Doug/RedRabbit

the .280 has died and been reborn several times. it's a victim of some poor marketing by remington and some flip flops in barrel twist and a buncha different smaller reasons. the main reason is that it shoots a bullet that is only 7 thousands of an inch larger in diameter than a .270 and you can't hardly resize an '06 into a .280. not a bad cartridge, just not good enough to replace a cartridge (the .270) that has been around 50 years longer and has a heck of a buncha guys shooting it (like me). seems that a lot of writers like it (mainly because it isn't a .270 and the .270 was Jack O'connor's pet cartridge) but the public never got very wild about it. Lark.