Sign in to follow this  
hoghntr

Moo cow down

So this is the other side of the coin. This is a HARVEST Bison not really a hunt. So if your like me and don't wanna have to make new best friends with someone to be able to kill a bison, or if your physically jacked up like me and can't be out of phone reception and far from doctor, and or if you just wanna fill that tag and eat some delicious meat then this is a tag for you.

Like I said DO NOT EXPECT A HUNT. NO SPOT N STALK/NO GLASSING FOR DAYS, NO UPSET WIFE, NO GETTING FIRED FOR TIME AWAY FROM WORK!

Raymond Ranch is a wildlife viewing area but animals need population control. You DO NOT SHOOT THEM IN A CORRAL. They are for the most part free range but they are quite willing to come eat snacks from rangers truck. :)

I have been battling some physical stuff this month and feared having to donate tag and not hunt but Prednisone and prayer pulled me thru. :] We got'r done and at butcher's by 2pm. I realized after hunt that Evan was #2 tag and he is member on here. Evans crew was made up of half dozen strong guys that decided to help out and pick my buffalo up and set on trailer For me and save us block and tackle work. 👍

We had little mix up on which animal was which but that is hunting sometimes when your dealing with big strong beasts. I was able to make it home and to ccv for my son's first football game which honestly was most important thing for me on Sep 23rd so gaining a freezer full of meat is just a bonus.

Thank you Lord for the full freezer and for good people to spend time with in the field.

Special thanks to SHERMAN on here and Ben Bassous who accompanied me on hunt and Evans crew for the lift... Oh and elkaholic for use of buffalo transport (trailer) 👍 the g&f guys that participate in this could not be better!!! Can't remember how to spell his name so won't try.

ALSO YES AFTER THE HARVEST AND LOOKING AT PICTURES I SUDDENLY REALIZED MY BEARD MAKES ME LOOK LIKE A GARDEN GNOME. 😧

post-2359-0-16850400-1474817970_thumb.jpg

post-2359-0-02795200-1474818062_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Awesome. That's a ton of tasty meat in the freezer!

• Like 1

Thanks hoghntr for asking me to help who knows if I will ever get to go on another buffalo hunt/harvest and get to touch such a magnificent animal is such a blessing. Congratulations Mike on your buffalo

• Like 2

Was nice to meet you guys! You guys made quick work and were out. We camped another night and spent the evening glassing other animals. Congrats!

• Like 1

Congrats on your buff. No shame in taking a load of tasty meat off Raymond Ranch. Probably will cash my points in for that area if things don't change on the north rim.

• Like 5

I was just a helper on the hunt and imo it was almost like paying a guide to do it for you. In conversation with the ranch manager he said they had something like 15000 acres to run on and he said they can jump a 5-6 foot fence. For many as a bystander it was class act from hunters and the g&f worker's

• Like 1

Congrats HogHntr! Enjoy the freezer full of delicious meat!

• Like 1

👍 on the g&f guys for real... You know Himer or however you spell is name manages to make you feel like he is experiencing it for 1st time with you. I was there in spring with friends kids and same thing he is verrry cool dude! Taking guys 3 at a time to kill every few weeks for however long seems like it might get boring to me or maybe he might dismiss stories from newbies or maybe he might just be a get"r done guy and not take the time to congratulate hunters etc... This is not the case he will make you feel like you are a paying client not just a tag holder. Another g&f guy was there this time also who explained Az bison history and hopes for the future herds. 👍 both these gentlemen are welcome at my campfire or bbq anytime.

• Like 4

Congratulations Mike on your buffalo. I took one off Rayman back in 1977 and have had the privilege of helping on 2 other hunts there. We were treated exactly as you said. Glad you got to fill your freezer with some awesome meat and thanks for sharing the pictures and story. :)

TJ

• Like 1