Viper

Carrying a rifle during Youth Hunt

I am looking for opinions/advice. I will be helping my buddy and his daughter on her youth deer hunt this weekend. We may split up to cover more ground. I would like to carry my rifle in case I glass up a lion. Is this frowned upon by G&F? Should I leave it in camp and just carry my sidearm? Have you had a bad experience with this in the past?

If they have a problem with it it's their problem not urs. You are legally hunting and unless they can prove otherwise you'll be fine. I would say they will likely frown upon it but again it's their problem.

• Like 7

WE LIVE IN AMERICA AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY A GUN. THIS IS THE WAY I SEE IT!

SO IN AUGUST WHEN RIFLE BEAR AND ARCHERY DEER ARE BOTH OPEN IS IT WRONG TO CARRY BOTH A GUN AND A BOW?

• Like 1

You can carry a handgun while in possession of a bow. Not a rifle.

WE LIVE IN AMERICA AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY A GUN. THIS IS THE WAY I SEE IT!

SO IN AUGUST WHEN RIFLE BEAR AND ARCHERY DEER ARE BOTH OPEN IS IT WRONG TO CARRY BOTH A GUN AND A BOW?

wow. That was loud :)

I agree. I say it should be ok to carry a rifle for protection.

• Like 1

I actually had a g&f officer ask me to carry a riffle during my then wife's deer hunt he said there was a high population of lion in the unit. That may have been for him to try and catch us "buddy hunting " but she was a good shot and doesn't need a backup. Yes you will be ok.

Just for the record I don't buddy hunt

• Like 2

Explorer, is this in the regs? Don't mean to hijack the OP.....I think this is an interesting debate! Didn't to mean to be so LOUD......sometimes I forget to click off the caps lock!

You are fine to carry during an open Hunt you do not have a tag for. Squirrel is open in elk units, lion, coyotes, etc.

Theread used to be regs prohibiting the carry of a rifle during elk hunts if you did not have a tag, but that has been removed for years.

• Like 1

Explorer, is this in the regs? So if you are rifle hunting you can't carry a bow? Don't mean to hijack the OP.....I think this is an interesting debate! Didn't to mean to be so LOUD......sometimes I forget to click off the caps lock!

It was a hot topic last year during hunter safety. The warden who came in said a small sidearm is acceptable and even warned that different wardens will give you a hard time. He said he would not say anything as long as the barrel length was 6 inches or less. But if you had a contender or something similar he would write a citation. Game and fish cannot stop us fro protecting ourselves. He went as far as to tell us shotguns for dove have to be locked up while bowhunting.I wish they had a better definition in the regs

I actually had a g&f officer ask me to carry a riffle during my then wife's deer hunt he said there was a high population of lion in the unit. That may have been for him to try and catch us "buddy hunting " but she was a good shot and doesn't need a backup. Yes you will be ok.

Just for the record I don't buddy hunt

That's an uncalled for assumption. Also that would be entrapment.

Guest akaspecials

Explorer, is this in the regs? So if you are rifle hunting you can't carry a bow? Don't mean to hijack the OP.....I think this is an interesting debate! Didn't to mean to be so LOUD......sometimes I forget to click off the caps lock!

It was a hot topic last year during hunter safety. The warden who came in said a small sidearm is acceptable and even warned that different wardens will give you a hard time. He said he would not say anything as long as the barrel length was 6 inches or less. But if you had a contender or something similar he would write a citation. Game and fish cannot stop us fro protecting ourselves. He went as far as to tell us shotguns for dove have to be locked up while bowhunting.I wish they had a better definition in the regs

Sounds like a warden taking the law into his own hands. I'd like to see him in a court room defending those citations.

Lion tag and a jack rabbit call or even a squeaker in your pocket should be all the evidence you need to avoid a hassle. Easy peasy. :)

Sounds like a warden taking the law into his own hands. I'd like to see him in a court room defending those citations.

The don't have to most people don't fight them

Well LE officers do alot of things that bend the law. As long as they write the report the way they want it to be interpreted the judge usually takes their side. Not to get off subject but is the average citizen allowed to Taze someone who won't shut up and listen? No. That's a crime for us. Not them..oh boy I'm gonna get an ear full but the facts are what they are.

• Like 2